1968 Starcraft Polaris

rn311608

Recruit
I just got a new-to-me 1968 Starcraft Polaris. I was able to get it for free off of a craigslist posting. After inspection there are no holes in the hull and is would be able to hit the water, and float after cosmetic revamping The inside of the boat is gutted (no seats, carpeting, etc.). This will be my first restoration, so any hints and tips would be appreciated. Attached is a picture of what I picked-up. The trailer isn't the right size but is all I have to store it on currently.
Boat.jpg

I am having trouble finding any details about the boat or any manuals, specifications, etc, even on this site. Any help in that department would be appreciated!

More questions to come in later posts... guaranteed.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: 1968 Starcraft Polaris

Starcraftbb005.jpg

That's about all I got on a 1968 SC Polaris.......... 16' +/- upto an 80hp OB, and may have wood-free, hollow stringers.

Welcome to the iboats dry dock.

Starcrafts of this vintage were often built using a 'pre-fab' fiberglass stringer system that was made on a form, then lifted into place & glassed into the hull of the boat, similar to this:
396150_10150955709692663_729108790_n.jpg

Your's may or may not be similar............

There's a better factory brochure pix around here somewhere, but I couldn't dig it up after several minutes of searching.... It's on a yellow page from the brochure I think...........

Anyway, if it's gutted, then there should be no deck (floor) in the boat either. If just the carpet's out, and there's new decking installed, I'd check to be absolutely 100% positive it isn't laid over existing rotten decking & that the stringers were all thoroughly inspected & any necessary repairs were done prior to the deck's installation. Which I suspect may not have been done, if it was posted as a free boat on CL.

Looks like there's no OB in the 1 pix you posted, so maybe this boat was bought for the motor, which was removed.

Make sure that's only surface rust on the trailer, but for a free boat & trailer, it doesn't look too shabby :)

chriscraft254

Commander
Re: 1968 Starcraft Polaris

Thats a great looking boat. Looks like the rubrail and paint might be new on the hull.