Decision points on a used family boat

16victor

Seaman
Hi all,

First post here and I hope you don't mind me asking some basic questions.

Background: 51 yrs old, boated frequently with family since childhood until about 25, then very occasionally. Bad back but I can still get up on one ski without any drama. Wife is non-boater, but says she's willing. Sons are 15 and 13, older boy bigger than me (he's 6'1 210 lbs.) and they're keen to try. We're in the Cincinnati area. 70% skiing/wakeboarding etc., 15% fishing, 15% lounging and resting.

Wanting an I/O bowrider, budget about $6000. Figuring 19' will be best compromise between size and towability. Have looked at several, turned down an '89 Baja with no cover, no bimini, and a soft floor ($4000); and an '95 Wellcraft that was just too dinged up ($5500). Both were V6's. Soon looking at an '82 (yow) Regal with a I4, supposed to be immaculate. Is this too old? I fix everything and do it well but I don't want to make this a vocation.

Q1: V6 vs I4? Dad got me and my brother up, each on one ski in deepwater starts, in an I4 Sylvan....but we were experienced. I4 should use less gas, am hoping it has enough grunt that the V6 is sure to have. I have no desire to show the lake that I'm faster than everybody

Q2: Some have an intercooler/heat exchanger, others use lake water for cooling (right?) Which is preferable regarding reliability (overheat issues, failure, etc.)?

Q3: How likely is a transom or stringer to be rotted if the floor is soft?

Q4: Any brands to gravitate toward or steer clear from?

I'll find what I need - they're out there, and I have time. Any other comments are very welcome.

Thanks for your time,

Ron

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Decision points on a used family boat

Very likely, more likely than not.

If you're going to spend that kind of money on a boat you should have a marine surveyor look at it... or at least a marine mechanic at a reputable dealership.

UncleWillie

Captain

Q1: V6 vs I4? Dad got me and my brother up, each on one ski in deep-water starts, in an I4 Sylvan....but we were experienced. I4 should use less gas, am hoping it has enough grunt that the V6 is sure to have. I have no desire to show the lake that I'm faster than everybody
The I4 will get you into the 40 mpg range. The V6 will get around 50mph.
Both will be way too fast for skiing or tubing.
Even if pulling two people, you will need to throttle back.
But the v6 will get you up to 20mph faster than the i4.

Q2: Some have an inter cooler/heat exchanger, others use lake water for cooling (right?) Which is preferable regarding reliability (overheat issues, failure, etc.)?
The heat exchanger cooling system is preferred if using the boat for long periods in salt water.
Direct cooling has less parts to go bad.

About 99% likely!

Q4: Any brands to gravitate toward or steer clear from?
If you are not buying New, the brand is immaterial.
How it was maintained is all that will matter at this point.
Some older boat brands did not hold up well over the years.
Their weak points will all be obvious by now.

tpenfield

Staff member

Welcome to iBoats and presumably to boat ownership (soon)

V6

Heat exchanger (Fresh Water Cooled /Closed Cooling System) for ocean waters (salt). Raw water cooling is fine for lakes, etc.

In the price range that you are considering, rot will be prevalent. So, it will take a bit of looking. Just remember . . .where there is smoke, there is fire.

As far as brands . . . most brands are 'average'. Maybe 10% are 'good' . . . another 10% 'not so good' (IMHO . . . other viewpoints may vary.) With a boat in your price range, they will be somewhat aged, so actual condition will trump any brand strength.

Let us know how it goes, post links, pics, etc. There is no shortage of opinions here, and we love to shop for boats. :D

16victor

Seaman

Well, here's what we have a handshake on:

P1140510a.jpg

It's darn near a museum piece. More details soon - and thanks again,

Ron

UncleWillie

Captain

Well, here's what we have a handshake on:

Looks like a Regal Empress 190 XL
From the picture I see a few major pluses.

1. It is stored indoors. Big Plus!

2. He has another boat that looks even bigger.
It is more likely to have been maintained well.
A boater that is upgrading and has to sell his baby, is a big plus over someone who lost interest years ago,
and wants to get rid of what he now considers a money pit.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Is this what you bought?

regal 19 foot bowrider

From the pics... sure looks nice. I hope she gives you many good years of service. Goodluck!

UncleWillie

Captain

Looking closer I see a RED Flag!

The Ohio Registration sticker is on the Bow but the Registration Numbers are missing. Suspicious!

In Ohio, The Bow numbers stay with the boat forever.
The new owner does NOT get new numbers and there is no reason to remove them from the hull.

Be sure he has a Title in HIS NAME and without a lien. No Exceptions!
Same goes for the trailer.

Unless you have some kind of recourse; Go with him to the Title bureau for the transfer.
When the title bureau accepts the Title for transfer; Then he gets the money, NOT before, Not a Dime!

If he starts to give you that "Don't You Trust Me" Line, Don't trust him, turn and run!

16victor

Seaman

The Ohio Registration sticker is on the Bow but the Registration Numbers are missing. Suspicious!

I edited the numbers out before posting the pic - but I will heed your recommendations, and thanks for your concern.

Ron

NYBo

Admiral

Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

In Ohio, The Bow numbers stay with the boat forever.
The new owner does NOT get new numbers and there is no reason to remove them from the hull.

Be sure he has a Title in HIS NAME and without a lien. No Exceptions!
Same goes for the trailer.

Unless you have some kind of recourse; Go with him to the Title bureau for the transfer.
When the title bureau accepts the Title for transfer; Then he gets the money, NOT before, Not a Dime!

If he starts to give you that "Don't You Trust Me" Line, Don't trust him, turn and run!
It sure looks like the same boat in the same garage as the one in 90stingray's link, and the numbers are clearly there. Maybe the numbers are just blurred out in the photo the OP posted, or the current owner is just ignorant of the law and removed them.

UncleWillie

Captain

...It sure looks like the same boat in the same garage as the one in 90stingray's link, ...

Yep! Same Boat, Same Garage, Same Cabinets, Window and Clock in the background.

Blurring out the Numbers will hardly slow us down from finding you if we really want to! :D
Isn't the Internet amazing! :rolleyes:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I edited the numbers out before posting the pic - but I will heed your recommendations, and thanks for your concern.

Ron

I get a kick out of that.

Are you gonna cover the numbers when you are on the lake, or towing it down the hiway?

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Sorry, guys, but I see another red flag and it's huge.

The description of a 4-cylinder intercooled motor, plus the rear view of the I/O (looks like a Merc to me), tells me this is probably the infamous Mercruiser 470/3.7 liter motor. If by some miracle it is in fact the newer 3.0, it won't be powerful enough for a loaded 19' doing watersports.

16victor, do some searches here on that 3.7 motor. You DON'T want it.

My .02

16victor

Seaman

I get a kick out of that.
Are you gonna cover the numbers when you are on the lake, or towing it down the hiway?

:) yeah, seemed like a good idea at the time...but only done because I've see folks brush out car license plates and I always wondered why they did that!

It's the same boat, but remember I didn't post the craigslist link. Should have known better.

It is the 470 engine, same one we had in a boat when I was younger and it ran for years with no issues. Still, I thank you for the warnings, the engine will be run through several cycles before I bite.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

:) It is the 470 engine, same one we had in a boat when I was younger and it ran for years with no issues. Still, I thank you for the warnings, the engine will be run through several cycles before I bite.

As long as you're aware. I've never understood why someone would conciously choose an obsolete package with well-known problems when there are other options available, but it's your money.

Seriously, best of luck- hope it all works out for you!

16victor

Seaman

I've never understood why someone would conciously choose an obsolete package with well-known problems when there are other options available, but it's your money.

Can you expand on the other options - not that I don't know the general brand names but any details on models to avoid?

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Can you expand on the other options - not that I don't know the general brand names but any details on models to avoid?

Glad to. In the I/O class boats, I'd avoid the following

Drives:

1. OMC- been out of the marine business since the late '90's. The problem is decreasing availability of parts and mechanics. There's an exception, however- the OMC Cobra SX (not to be confused with the King Cobra) is the same drive as the Volvo-Penta SX. Those are good (I've owned the V-P version in 2 different boats now) and everything is available through V-P.

2. Yamaha - doubtful you'll stumble across one but run away fast if you do. They were in the market for about 2 years in the 1990's before they abruptly left it and pulled all support at the same time. A true 'orphan'

Engines:

1. Ford - See OMC above. Same deal. OMC and Volvo-Penta used Fords more commonly than Mercruiser did, so the potential is there in a Volvo-Penta equipped boat. If you see a boat advertised with a '5.0' engine, make sure it's the GM 305 and not the Ford 302.

2. Mercruiser 3.7 - this one we've talked about. Lots of power wrapped in a terrible design. Some owners who have them, like them, but I can't imagine anyone recommending one to a new boater. You'll have enough surprises without starting with a known liability.

Your absolute best bet for parts and trained mechanics are Mercruiser or Volvo-Penta drives tied to GM-based 'V' motors (4.3, 5.0, 5.7, etc.). Buy one of those in good shape and you're a step ahead of the game. All the players are still active.

(the 3.0 I4 (130 hp) is a good motor but won't produce enough power for the size boat you want.)

My .02

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Q1: V6 vs I4? Dad got me and my brother up, each on one ski in deep-water starts, in an I4 Sylvan....but we were experienced. I4 should use less gas, am hoping it has enough grunt that the V6 is sure to have. I have no desire to show the lake that I'm faster than everybody
The I4 will get you into the 40 mpg range. The V6 will get around 50mph.
]

Downhill with the wind! An i4 in a 19' with a couple people on board won't hit 40 on a gps, and a v6 on a 19' with a full tank and people won't get to 50 either.

I've skied behind numerous different boats very similar to those configs, and the i4 is borderline useless. You have to kick your buddies out and just have driver/spotter on board, and slalom deep water starts are PAINFUL. If you can do a beach/dock start it isn't too bad for a slalom skier.

As for fuel consumption, they are going to be very, very close. An overloaded i4 is going to suck down more fuel than a v6 that is within its peak operating range. In the end it comes down to more how you drive than anything else.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Re: "Wanting an I/O bowrider, budget about $6000. Figuring 19' will be best compromise between size and towability."

I think 19' is a good size for a family of 4, and is good for towing (single axle) which also reduces many costs. In a year your oldest will be trailering and taking it out himself with his friends.

But I think the I/O bowrider is the most cramped set-up (other than a closed bow obviously). All that padding, and consoles, bucket seats no one sits in to drive, and a big honking box in the back. They aren't very seaworthy (but if you're on a small lake, OK) and they have to be covered. Take the family and climb into a 19' outboard dual or center console with bow seating (Grady, Sea Hunt, Whaler, Carolina Skiff DLX series) or maybe even a bay boat hull depending on your waters. It pays to have them roomy for family use. And they are way more durable (compare your living room to your deck/patio for outdoor recreation....)