1974 105hp Chrysler Condenser questions

hbryant123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
On my 1974 chrysler it has not had a condensor since i have owned it. I was wondering what the condenser even does? can not having it hurt my engines performance??

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1974 105hp Chrysler Condenser questions

"A body in motion tends to stay in motion" and this is also true for electrons. Thus under high current conditions (like energising a coil, lots of electrons flowing) the current will tend to want to keep flowing even as the switch (points) is opened, jumping the gap until it gets too wide.

Typically, on a battery ignition points engine, the condenser serves to absorb current surges when the points open and keep it from jumping the gap. This helps to prevent arcing and quick point wear.

IF your 1974 engine has the Motorola electronic ignition, the points do not carry a lot of current (amps). They are simply a 12 volt signal switch for the CD box and are not subject to much arcing. THUS: No condenser is necessary.

NOW: If you were to convert to an automotive type coil without a CD box, then you would need to install a condenser across the points.---That is, condenser body to ground and wire pigtail to insulated points terminal

hbryant123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

"A body in motion tends to stay in motion" and this is also true for electrons. Thus under high current conditions (like energising a coil, lots of electrons flowing) the current will tend to want to keep flowing even as the switch (points) is opened, jumping the gap until it gets too wide.

Typically, on a battery ignition points engine, the condenser serves to absorb current surges when the points open and keep it from jumping the gap. This helps to prevent arcing and quick point wear.

IF your 1974 engine has the Motorola electronic ignition, the points do not carry a lot of current (amps). They are simply a 12 volt signal switch for the CD box and are not subject to much arcing. THUS: No condenser is necessary.

NOW: If you were to convert to an automotive type coil without a CD box, then you would need to install a condenser across the points.---That is, condenser body to ground and wire pigtail to insulated points terminal

Yes mine has the motorolla box, it came off a 85hp chrysler i believe, the origional magnapower box died years ago. At real close to WOT sometimes it will kinda miss but if u back it down a hair its fine, what could cause this?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Any number of things can cause missing. However, since it appears at or close to WOT, I would be very suspicious of lean running. If the low speed needles are set leaner than 3/4 out from lightly seated, then for sure the engine is running too lean. Try adjusting the carbs as described in the FAQ sticky : Synchronizing timing and carbs.

If that is OK, try re-setting the points. Gap should be .010. I forget the spring pressure but if it is too low, the points will bounce at over a certain RPM and cause missing too. So, of you have money to spare, try a new set of points if carburation is correct

hbryant123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yea I have never synced the carbs and timing, also i need to check that points gap, last year my main goal was to get the thing going well enough to use it, which i achieved. This year i am wanting to tune it in more.