Is there an easy way...

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
... to restore this boat?

1959 Marinette Cruiser

I'd really like to have this boat... but I can't stand hard work and getting dirty!:blue:

Do y'all think there's any way I can restore this boat without sweating and getting dirty... other than hiring someone to do it for me.

I've got some leftover exterior house paint that the guys that painted my house left, do you think I could just roll it on and make this boat look nice?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Is there an easy way...

... to restore this boat?

1959 Marinette Cruiser

I'd really like to have this boat... but I can't stand hard work and getting dirty!:blue:

Do y'all think there's any way I can restore this boat without sweating and getting dirty... other than hiring someone to do it for me.

I've got some leftover exterior house paint that the guys that painted my house left, do you think I could just roll it on and make this boat look nice?

Ayuh,.... Donno why you'd wanta paint it,....

At the prices he's askin',... I'm thinkin' it's solid GOLD...

jbcurt00

Staff member

Hey Jig, I agree w/ Bond-O: Solid gold should be cleaned to a high polished shine
sAng_banghead.gif

Please let me know if you find someone to do the work for you, & send 'em my way when their done.

Esp if it's free labor: tools, room, board & beer NOT provided
tongue0020.gif

Ok, w/ that out of the way, I helped a buddy strip & prep a similar (as I remember, it looked EXACTLY the same) mid-60's Marinette from the rub rail up, transom forward, and refinish the woodwork. All in slip at the lake his family had been going to since the late 70's. The boat was bought new, taken to Lake Cumberland, and the original owner's son sold it to my buddy. Just moved it to a new slip. It had the Gray inboard, don't remember it being a flat 6 though.

Made a great platform to boat 'from' when we went down for a ski weekend. Made it easier to take the Admirals too, for sure.-:cool:

Great memories, thanks for firing up the way back machine
th_smilie_286.gif

But, seriously, $4500, torn down, w/out trailer, $7500 w/ trailer, add in some misc electrical & dash carp for $500 and then an extra $1700 for the 165?

Hmm, all in for $9700 :confused: Wow, made a gold is right :facepalm: yeah, a NO THANKS!

BTW: after 'some' hefty expenses, I think my buddy was all in & running for less then $4500, including a driveshaft straightening & a new carrier bearing... Several intermittent motor problems did confound us for a few seasons, but didn't put it in dry dock.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I helped a buddy strip & prep a similar (as I remember, it looked EXACTLY the same) mid-60's Marinette from the rub rail up, transom forward, and refinish the woodwork.

Was this easy, did you have to sweat/work hard or get dirty???

I'm not interested in that motor thing (what does inboard mean). I'm going to put a 1985 Johnson 50 hp on the back of it.

I plan to make a tour boat on the Tennessee river or a shrimp trawler down in the Gulf of Mexico out of it.

I know the guy wants a lot of money for this boat, but I think I can talk him down to $500 for the boat and trailer.

How fast do you guys think my 50 hp motor will make this boat go?

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Was this easy, did you have to sweat/work hard or get dirty???

I'm not interested in that motor thing (what does inboard mean). I'm going to put a 1985 Johnson 50 hp on the back of it.

I plan to make a tour boat on the Tennessee river or a shrimp trawler down in the Gulf of Mexico out of it.

I know the guy wants a lot of money for this boat, but I think I can talk him down to $500 for the boat and trailer.

How fast do you guys think my 50 hp motor will make this boat go?

First you need to talk to the guy with the Sea Ray that he's moving to his Aunt's house. He's all in at $500 to fix his and hasn't broken a sweat yet! :lol:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Well since you ask:

About 1 gazzilion mph, the absolutely ideal speed for trolling for Alligator Gars in the Tennessee River or trawling for shrimp just about anywhere. It would make a perfect platform to cross the pacific and catch the tiger prawns in the south sea of Japan :rolleyes:

Ok...

AngryFinger_7WSKJO.gif

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Well I've found a few more dollars in my lean budget and think I might try to modify it into one of these (if I don't have to work too hard):

Pegasus-class PHM hydrofoil - YouTube

How much does a General Electric LM 2500 gas turbine cost?

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

How much does a General Electric LM 2500 gas turbine cost?[/QUOTE]

I think I saw one on Ebay, used of course, for about $650.

Bondo

Staff member

How much does a General Electric LM 2500 gas turbine cost?

I think I saw one on Ebay, used of course, for about $650.

Ayuh,.... Yer dot was supposed to be a comma,... $650,000.00....

jbcurt00

Staff member

Hmm, someone may need to clean out the refrigerator, this thread seems to have 'turned'.... :puke:

Is this why they coined the term: Jumping the Shark?

peas out.... ;)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Jig - You know dirt and sweat have no place in boat re-building. I applaud your ethic. The leftover paint will work great. BTW, what color is the paint? I don't want you to cover that gold with the wrong color. Tacky, tacky.

On the conversion to a Pegasus, the GE LM 2599 is only for inboard use, so maybe re-think that idea.

Hmm, someone may need to clean out the refrigerator, this thread seems to have 'turned'.... :puke:

I think Jig drank all the wobbly pop in the fridge. :lol:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Just clowning around on a dull and dreary Sunday.:D ... and thought I'd combine two threads into one.

I'd love to have the time and money to restore the 1959 Marinette Cruiser to original or better, if for no other reason than she makes an Islander look wimpy. I'd take her down to the GoM in the summer and cruise around and do some slow trolling for whatever bit.

The boat has been for sale for over a year and we all know why, it pops up on Craigslist every 3 months for about a week and then slips away.

The other thing is the people that show up on the resto forum here wanting to know if there's an easy way to do an inherently difficult restoration task... this just kills me. "Is there an easy way to remove my carpet glue?", "Is there an easy way to grind my fiberglass hull?". Uhhh, no... if it was easy we'd have a bunch of women and kiddies running around onboard instead of a bunch of itchy, bloody, sweaty, stinky men that need a shower and a first aid kit!... maybe you should be baking cookies with the wimmins and kiddies instead of trying to restore a boat?

That's all I got........ for now.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

I haven't found the "shrimp trawler" thread yet,...I've seen it mentioned though,....Anyone want to post a link up for it??,...

Bondo

Staff member

Just clowning around on a dull and dreary Sunday.:D ... and thought I'd combine two threads into one.

I'd love to have the time and money to restore the 1959 Marinette Cruiser to original or better, if for no other reason than she makes an Islander look wimpy. I'd take her down to the GoM in the summer and cruise around and do some slow trolling for whatever bit.

The boat has been for sale for over a year and we all know why, it pops up on Craigslist every 3 months for about a week and then slips away.

The other thing is the people that show up on the resto forum here wanting to know if there's an easy way to do an inherently difficult restoration task... this just kills me. "Is there an easy way to remove my carpet glue?", "Is there an easy way to grind my fiberglass hull?". Uhhh, no... if it was easy we'd have a bunch of women and kiddies running around onboard instead of a bunch of itchy, bloody, sweaty, stinky men that need a shower and a first aid kit!... maybe you should be baking cookies with the wimmins and kiddies instead of trying to restore a boat?

That's all I got........ for now.

Ayuh,.....
images

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

The only stupid question is one that is not asked. These newbie's don't know. You guys are the experts. That is why they ask. Many times when people ask "Is there an easy way to _______?" the answer is "Yes, You need to ________"

What kinda sucks is any newbie reading this thread may not ask their question now because they don't want to feel like an idiot.

How I really feel:
This forum seems to be pretty heavily moderated. I think light hearted threads like this are a good monotony breaker. I am however surprised the mods let it go.

spegtoast

Petty Officer 2nd Class

[h=1]1987 Searay sundance major hull repair advice needed.[/h]
Be warned, what has been seen (read) can not be unseen (unread)

Your right... I will never be the same. Almost like watching a b rated horrer movie but just can't turn it off. :eek:

I think the big hearted fellows at iboats spent more time helping with this project than the OP did any work or research. :facepalm:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

The only stupid question is one that is not asked. These newbie's don't know. You guys are the experts. That is why they ask. Many times when people ask "Is there an easy way to _______?" the answer is "Yes, You need to ________"

What kinda sucks is any newbie reading this thread may not ask their question now because they don't want to feel like an idiot.

How I really feel:
This forum seems to be pretty heavily moderated. I think light hearted threads like this are a good monotony breaker. I am however surprised the mods let it go.

So you know an easy way to restore it a boat besides hiring someone else to do it for you???

... if you do I'm really interested in hearing how.