pontoon in salt water on south shore of Long Island??

mikeytino

Cadet
hello!
my beautiful sailboat is getting totaled and I'm thinking of getting a pontoon boat because the club I'm at has a sailboat to use at will.
what are your thoughts on a used pontoon in the 5k range that can stay in salt water all summer at a slip here in Long Island, New York?
any fiberglass models you recommend?
looking at a pontoon because we just like to putt around the bay and swim. I know aluminium and salt hate each other but what if we just thew a heavy coat of bottom paint on her?
need as much advice as I can get!!
thank you.

Jeep Man

Commander
Re: pontoon in salt water on south shore of Long Island??

I'm not familiar with the practise, but salt water use of pontoons in the south is quite common. Bottom painting the toons is necessary. Raising the motor when docked and flushing with fresh water after each use is also adviseable. I'm sure more of our southern friends will chime in with more info.

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer

Our toon is used mainly in the gulf. We keep it moored at a dock on a river that is brackish. Painting the logs is necessary and solves the problem nicely. The process of painting them is a bit different than a glass boat. It is a 2 step one. Epoxy primer then paint. Well three if you add prep. You also want some zincs on the logs. I have one small like 3"round ones on each end of the logs. They last about 10-12 months here. Someone must have a wire in the water my me.
So it is not a problem running an aluminum pontoon in salt. Do raise the OB when you are done for the day and flush if at all possible. I don't except when I pull it every 6 months or so. But like I said I'm in a brackish river about 25 minutes from the gulf. Pontoon speed that is :lol:
You will love it.

taggy

Seaman

I have a pontoon in the Tampa Bay area and I came from the Great South bay. I remember how choppy it can get in the bay and I would not want to use my pontoon in that. They don't like choppy water. I don't remember ever seeing one up there and I think that may be why.

mikeytino

Cadet

Thank you all for the feedback.
Taggy, I'm actually looking to use it in a much more calm part of the south shore - Hempstead Bay. It definitely can get choppy, but we are thinking that for those choppy days, we take out one of the club owned sailboats that we have access to.
Is there a specfic type of Epoxy Primer that is recommended? As for paint - I'm assuming I can use the same stuff I had for my fiberglass sailboat?
Any other info and opinions appreciated!

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer

I'm not sure about the paint or epoxy used. I had mine done. I think it was Interlux paint. I would ask first before using the same type as for fiberglass.

scott&kellie

Seaman Apprentice

Mike,

I live in Charleston SC and we take our toon 22 crest in saltwater all the time (I take the family out to Capers Island). Just make sure that you flush the motor when you get home and throughly wash her down.

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would personally be leery of an aluminum toon in the saltwater...but i am biased because i bought one that was used in the saltwater and was bottom painted but still had leaking issues. If you get one make sure that you follow everyone's advice...nothing worse than a sinky boat. I would probably get the toons pressure checked each season for peace of mind...especially if you are leaving it docked all season.

vinny704

Recruit

to be blunt, and im sorry, but your nuts, i lived and boated on the island, lived there 22 years had my boat docked in lindenhurst, you know how that water can get crazy on the weekends, especially in the state channel on the great south bay, but you didnt say north or south shore, long island sound is calmer, but lots of rocks along the shore line, a buddy of mine knocked his drive off out there! either way, no way would i run a pontoon out there, too much traffic and rough water.....ok just saw hempstead,....i still wouldnt, good luck

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer

As a follow up clear up the type of paint use on Aluminum. You don't use the same as on fiberglass or wood they contain copper which will react with the aluminum. There are other anti fouling paints made for aluminum.