Cruisers Incorporated 1960? 18ft.

tomogg

Cadet
Here I go again. After owning several boats, living in deep south Louisiana, half mile from th Intracoastal Canal, or Waterway, with a boat launch down the road, and having owned metal and fiberglass boats, I go and buy a wooden boat. I read one thread and think I have made a good deal, then I read another thread, and I want to run the other way. The boat sat inside a shed for 25 years, then was given to the deceased owner's son in law, who then restored it in 2007-08. Here is the dalogue from him: Cruisers Inc. 1.jpgCruisers Inc. 2.jpgCruisers Inc. 3.jpgCruisers Inc. 4.jpgCruisers Inc. 5.jpg Fabulous 1960 wooden Cruiser's Incorporated boat with original 75 horsepower motor and mahogany trim. Purchased from original owner in 1961. Completely renovated in 2007-8. Original Gator trailer included. The history on this boat is as follows: The boat was given to me my deceased father-in-law about 8 years ago. He had bought it in 1961 from the owner of the Louisville Boat Company, making my father in law the second owner. When I inspected the boat, it had been covered in a shed for approximately 25 years, and I towed it to Georgia and had the bottom of the boat sanded and painted. I kept it in a slip at Carter's Lake for 1 year, used it about 3 times. I did notice a couple of places on the side that water sprinkled in when I hit a wave the wrong way. You would have to inspect the boat yourself, as I am not qualified to give you a definite answer about soft spots or rot. I have added a few more pictures that give you a better view of the inside of the boat. I don't have any pictures of the bilge. When I first put the boat in the water, there was some water in the bilge, but have a few months in the water, the bilge was dry. I had a cover custom made (sunbrella material). I do also have the Evinrude Service Manual for the 75 hp motor. When I first remove to top of the motor, the manual crank cord was still in the factory wrapper! So did I make a good deal? He also told me when he put it in the water, it took on some water, but then the wood expanded, and sealed off all leaks. Is this normal? What should I do to make sure the bottom is sealed? Cauk the boards? Thank you for any and all responses.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Cruisers Incorporated 1960? 18ft.

If you decide you don't want it...Call me I'll take her off your hands. Even if the Hull IS painted white, I would still take her. Not sure what you paid but from what I can see in the pics, If you got her for 3 to 5K I'd say you got a good deal. The leaks could be due to the Lapstrake construction. The caulk or whatever was used to seal the seams needs to be closely inspected.

Ned L

Commander

Very nice boat!!! Beautiful find! After being out of the water and drying out a lapstrake boat WILL leak a bit when you first put her back in the water. DON'T let anyone talk to you about fiberglassing the bottom, that will do the boat no good and will take value away immediately (for anyone who knows wood boats). Lapstrake boats are normally built with no caulking between the planks. There were exceptions (i.e.:Chris Craft did use thyokol between the planks in their lapstrake boats).
Not meant at all as a criticism, but there are better web sites than here for information on the care and maintenance of your boat (Woodenboat being one of them).
There is nothing wrong with a bit of water in the bilge of a wooden boat when it is in the water being used. - Don't just leave standing water in her when she is on the trailer though. Are the ribs & planking in as beautiful condition under the floorboards?? It looks like you have a real show piece there! You might even look into joining the ACBS (Antique and classic boat society), they have lots of local chapters and this boat would fit right in. They are a great source for help and advise too.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

My buddy's 50's woodie needs to soak a bit to swell the wood, seals her up after a short period of time and this is part of wood boats, Not sure if that's how your find is supposed to work, but I would learn, learn, learn before I touched anything on that gem. It's very nice, lets hope you have no rot, I was in an old Thompson that was past it's prime, we were fishing in a salmon tourny on Lake Huron, and we encountered 3-5 foot waves, and then the transom fractured quite severely trying to make it back to port for our deadline on fishing. We were lucky to return alive. His was repowered with way too my weight, and that boat also had some rot in the wood transom. It never saw water agin. Really nice find if you didnt pay too much.

tomogg

Cadet

My buddy's 50's woodie needs to soak a bit to swell the wood, seals her up after a short period of time and this is part of wood boats, Not sure if that's how your find is supposed to work, but I would learn, learn, learn before I touched anything on that gem. It's very nice, lets hope you have no rot, I was in an old Thompson that was past it's prime, we were fishing in a salmon tourny on Lake Huron, and we encountered 3-5 foot waves, and then the transom fractured quite severely trying to make it back to port for our deadline on fishing. We were lucky to return alive. His was repowered with way too my weight, and that boat also had some rot in the wood transom. It never saw water agin. Really nice find if you didnt pay too much.

How much is too much? Had a marine survey done, no rot, solid transom, boat in first class shape.

jbcurt00

Staff member

How much is too much? Had a marine survey done, no rot, solid transom, boat in first class shape.

May end up priced as what the seller will take, and what you'd pay.......

I suspect those #'s will be dissimilar. So expect it to be a negotiation, make an offer below what you'd be willing to pay, and hope the seller makes a counter.

The other choice, if it's the ONE you've always wanted or have been looking for, make an all in offer.

What it's worth is immaterial, if it's the ONE, unless you're comparing wallets, IMHO.

Insure it for replacement value, NOT what you pay or think it's worth. Replacement w/ similar will likely be much more expensive.

tomogg

Cadet

If you decide you don't want it...Call me I'll take her off your hands. Even if the Hull IS painted white, I would still take her. Not sure what you paid but from what I can see in the pics, If you got her for 3 to 5K I'd say you got a good deal. The leaks could be due to the Lapstrake construction. The caulk or whatever was used to seal the seams needs to be closely inspected.

What is wrong with white? I was told the bottom was sanded down and repainted about 3 years ago by a restoration expert at a cost of 3 grand. Owner was asked where boat would be used, was told fresh water only, so he applied the appropriate paint. As I live 10 miles from the Gulf of Mexico, next to a boat launch that is mostly brackish water, and will sometimes go into salt water, will I have to repaint with a different paint, or would a good fresh rinse suffice? The seller told me the original color was black, which I think would look very nice. I plan to use the boat to fish a lot, not just to look pretty. Any and all opinions appreciated.

tomogg

Cadet

May end up priced as what the seller will take, and what you'd pay.......

I suspect those #'s will be dissimilar. So expect it to be a negotiation, make an offer below what you'd be willing to pay, and hope the seller makes a counter.

The other choice, if it's the ONE you've always wanted or have been looking for, make an all in offer.

What it's worth is immaterial, if it's the ONE, unless you're comparing wallets, IMHO.

Insure it for replacement value, NOT what you pay or think it's worth. Replacement w/ similar will likely be much more expensive.

Thanks, and how do I find a replacement value?

tomogg

Cadet

Very nice boat!!! Beautiful find! After being out of the water and drying out a lapstrake boat WILL leak a bit when you first put her back in the water. DON'T let anyone talk to you about fiberglassing the bottom, that will do the boat no good and will take value away immediately (for anyone who knows wood boats). Lapstrake boats are normally built with no caulking between the planks. There were exceptions (i.e.:Chris Craft did use thyokol between the planks in their lapstrake boats).
Not meant at all as a criticism, but there are better web sites than here for information on the care and maintenance of your boat (Woodenboat being one of them).
There is nothing wrong with a bit of water in the bilge of a wooden boat when it is in the water being used. - Don't just leave standing water in her when she is on the trailer though. Are the ribs & planking in as beautiful condition under the floorboards?? It looks like you have a real show piece there! You might even look into joining the ACBS (Antique and classic boat society), they have lots of local chapters and this boat would fit right in. They are a great source for help and advise too.

A question. Will the value of the boat go down if I put a new motor on the boat? The 1960 is totally rebuilt, and runs fine, but very noisy and drinks gas. I would like to put an Evinrude 2 stroke 90hp etec on her. I would prefer 4 stroke, but double the weight is not what I need. I have yet to find a weight for my old motor, but a new one is 320 pounds. Again, I prefer yamaha, but it is 380 pounds. I would store the old motor inside, keeping for if I sold the boat.

62cruiserinc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I own a 1962 Cruisers Inc. 16' boat that I have been restoring by working on it here and there over the last 3 years.

Your boat looks in excellent shape, especially the ribs (which have rotted/split in mine and I have to replace).

The lapstrakes in my boat are 3/8" plywood and had sealant between them from the factory. Because they are plywood, there will be minimum "swelling to seal" happening. I don't know if yours is also built with ply lapstrakes.

At a local boat show last year, there was a boat similar to mine that had been restored selling for $6K. Woodonglass is probably right, $3-5K would be a good deal for the boat.

The value of the boat with a new motor isn't an issue because you can just put the old outboard back on if you are selling it to a finicky buyer. Most of the wood boat guys I know don't really care much about the outboard motor, just the boat itself,

There is a great site for Thompson/Cruisers Inc boats at www.thompsondockside.com, then select "Dockside Views" on the left side menu to get the forums.

Good Luck
Steve

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

What is wrong with white? I was told the bottom was sanded down and repainted about 3 years ago by a restoration expert at a cost of 3 grand. Owner was asked where boat would be used, was told fresh water only, so he applied the appropriate paint. As I live 10 miles from the Gulf of Mexico, next to a boat launch that is mostly brackish water, and will sometimes go into salt water, will I have to repaint with a different paint, or would a good fresh rinse suffice? The seller told me the original color was black, which I think would look very nice. I plan to use the boat to fish a lot, not just to look pretty. Any and all opinions appreciated.

Nothing wrong with white!!! Just my personal preference that wood boats should look like Wood and not be painted except Maybe the hull. I'd ask the PO if he Knew the kind of paint that was applied. Some paints do NOT do well in salt water, having said that, If she's gunna be a trailer Queen an washed down well after every outing, I suspect the paint on her now will hold up fairly well.

Ned L

Commander

To answer some of your questions. Putting a new outboard on the boat will not hurt the value at all. Your plan of storing the original one will actually save it's value (just don't leave it to die in the corner of a shed untouched for years). I think 90 hp is going to be too much for that boat, the 75 is probably plenty.
As for the color (the previous comments light humor aside) white is the best color because it will stay the coolest in the summer heat (dark colors absorb much more light & are therefore much hotter, -not good for the boat).
No you don't have to do anything with the bottom paint. IF the boat were going to stay in the water all summer long (salt water) then the bottom would need to repainted with an anti-fouling bottom paint to keep barnacles & other marine animals from growing on the bottom.
This boat is plywood planked, so when it dries out it will not leak as much as if it were a "dimensional lumber" (or solid wood) planked boat. This is a good thing for you.

tomogg

Cadet

Cruisers Inc. 6.jpg
You stole that boat!

... you should feel guilty as sin!:D

But, I bought it on a Sunday, said my prayers... wife thinks I spent tooo much. Wait till she sees me shell out $7000 for a brand new Evinrude F70 4 stroke weighing in at 266 pounds. It only comes in a 20"shaft length, don't know if that will fit yet.

Ned L

Commander

I don't see how you could go wrong at that price if the whole boat is as good as the pictures. I would do some reseach and ask questions before investing in a new outboard. Lyman, Thompson, and some other companies built very similar boats so with a bit of work you should be able to get some good feedback on engine selection (again, the ACBS & other clubs).

tomogg

Cadet

Thanks, Ned. Is Ned ok? Another question. I am thinking of very gently modifying the frame under the seat. I want to strengthen the frame, place s gas tank 48" x 16" x 7", strap it in so it doesn't move, provide ventilation.... I will then have 25 gallons onboard, not a bunch of gas cans sliding around, in the way, at the back for better weight distribution. I know I will be sitting on gas.... your thoughts? Will it devalue the boat, or not?

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

I love the boat and think you got a good deal on it.... A friend of mine has one very similar that he restored.

On the motor...

I am all for reliability and fuel economy, but, IMHO, part of the charm of these old boats is the vintage/period power...
Not sure if would lose value, but I think it would lose some of its character....

Not trying to be opinionated... Its your boat - so do what makes you feel safe, comfortable and happy... Just my .02.

jbcurt00

Staff member

If it's too thirsty, maybe consider the re-power, but I too vote keep the Rude 75hp. 'Course I may not be impartial...
rolleyes.gif
And for sure don't sell it, the boat & it's rigging can only be original ONCE......

On the fuel, if you think you must, maybe, but modifying the seat frame to get a 16" X 7" fuel tank under it, sounds like it may require extensive changes to the seat frame, and maybe the boat's rib structure (probably not a good idea). But w/ out pix of the existing area, and a mockup of your proposed changes, that's wholly speculative..

Looks like a great boat, and for $100/ft it sounds like a great deal! Congrats! Like many before me:
sFun_drool3.gif

Outstanding..