Can I use an RV Fridge on a boat?

auntsooey

Recruit
I'm a total newbie to boating; longtimer to RVing. Could a 3-way refrigeraton (12V/110/Propane) work on a boat if it were vented to the outside like on an RV?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Can I use an RV Fridge on a boat?

It would be just fine AS LONG AS YOU DON'T USE THE LP portion... Just use the 110v and 12v stuff and you are golden

Of course the type of hull makes a difference... the LP is very dangerous with a hull to collect in but on a pontoon it is FAR less of an issue

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

My last boat i had a dorm fridge and it worked & fit great but only worked on shore power.

LK

stevecur

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Most RV units need to be level or the gas or refridgerant does not flow right. I would think that would be a problem on a boat.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

they need to be fairly level but as long as it's mounted so that it is close it will be fine... My frige in the 5th wheel works fine at 75 mph around curves and over mountains

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Well, not to be a party pooper but heat is conducted from the inside to the outside via refrigerant that is moved by a compressor through the refrigeration cycle (compression-heat rejection, decompression-heat absorption)which has an oil supply to consider. Most systems do ok as long as the unit is vertical more or less. Turning it on it's side could cause problems, like when you move one on it's side you need to give it half an hour for the oil to return to the compressor before you fire it up. Sloshing around in a boat is an averaging operation and what came out will go back on the next wave so it is a moot point in my opinion. Have a diploma from a Master's ac, heating, and ref. course so I know a tad about the process, but no marine experience, but common sense has it's place.

So, if bouncing around in a boat is a problem, and the normal refrigeration process can't work as a result, how do you transfer heat from the inside to the outside of the unit?

Mark

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Most boats maintain a (extremely close) perpendicular angle to the water, with the exception of random wave action. This action only lasts a second or two, certainly not enough time for the oil to change locations. So, while Texasmark certainly has the knowledge base on AC and refrigeration, an RV unit should work fine. If your fridge is on it's side long enough to have the oil transferring, your problems are bigger that whether or not your fridge is working efficiently.

tinkerguy70

Petty Officer 2nd Class

RV refrigerators don't have a compressor, or oil. The heat is transferred via absorbtion to the outside with Ammonia and Hyrdogen gas in a closed boiler system.
It's a pretty basic operating refrigeration system, no moving parts.
It will work in your boat, but those units are extremely slow to cool down and aren't very efficient if you bounce them around..
Then there is always the L.P. Gas hazard to consider.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

RV refrigerators don't have a compressor, or oil. The heat is transferred via absorbtion to the outside with Ammonia and Hyrdogen gas in a closed boiler system.
It's a pretty basic operating refrigeration system, no moving parts.
It will work in your boat, but those units are extremely slow to cool down and aren't very efficient if you bounce them around..
Then there is always the L.P. Gas hazard to consider.

Now that you mention it I do recall the absorption ammonia system in my RV frige. Oh, my course covered auto systems but the rest had to do with dwellings. Looks like you are good to go with battery operation.

Mark

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You can use a propane fridge on a boat, as long as the tank is mounted on the diving deck, or the upper deck if you have one. These would make for some rather off-the-wall plumbing, but it's perfectly do-able if you're so inclined.

Another option is a compressor-type marine fridge, like all the pocket cruisers have. They run on 110 VAC or 12 VDC. But they eat like 5 amps while running on batteries. If you're doing some weekend boating and will be driving the boat regularly, AND you have at least 2 batteries, you should be okay.

Yet another option is one of those electric coolers (which are also electric WARMERS when plugged in backwards)-- they work pretty good in all but the hottest temps, since by design the inside temp will be about 42? cooler than the outside temp.

We have all of the above-- and sometimes, a big ol' cooler fulla ice is the best way to go! :)

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

My marine fridge will run 3 days in 90 plus degree heat on one big battery

JoLin

Vice Admiral

You can use a propane fridge on a boat, as long as the tank is mounted on the diving deck, or the upper deck if you have one. These would make for some rather off-the-wall plumbing, but it's perfectly do-able if you're so inclined.

Many of us keep a small disposable tank or 2 aboard in an open area, but that isn't the same as permanently plumbing a propane unit in the boat.

There isn't a single regulatory or governing body (USCG, ABYC, NMMA), or insurance carrier that would condone cobbling together a propane system as described above. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but bulk tank propane use and storage on a boat can't be taken lightly. Properly vented, sealed propane storage lockers and automatic solenoids, switches and shut-offs are the only acceptable methods.

My .02

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

? "Cobbling" together a propane system? I've seen several flybridge cruisers with propane powered stoves, water heaters & refrigerators in the cabins, appropriately plumbed to tanks which are securely mounted under the flybridge. Nearly every houseboat on the planet has propane appliances. Our SkipperLiner's propane tanks are mounted on the diving deck. I've seen others mounted against the back wall, others up top next to the railing.

My reference to "off the wall plumbing" refers only to the fact that some clever engineering may be required to actually DO the plumbing, correctly and aesthetically.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Hi, FR- what you've seen on boats in your area, and what's 'safe' are often 2 different things. I've seen all kinds of homegrown solutions on boats that work just fine... right up until the moment that they don't, with potentially lethal results.

Here's some expert advice on the subject. I pasted a couple comments, but there's good advice in the article about types of tanks, solenoids, regulators, hose, etc. It's worth the read.

BoatUS – BoatTech – Propane Systems by Don Casey

"The best place for a propane tank is in a vapor-tight locker isolated from the rest of the boat. The gas locker must open only above deck and must have a drain at the bottom to let leaking gas escape over the side. The drain outlet needs to be located away from any other hull opening and where it will always be above the water, even when the boat is heeled.

Mounting tanks on deck is another option, although this might not be as safe as it seems. Lying to current, or sailing or motoring downwind, gas leaking from an on-deck tank at the stern can be blown directly below. Bulwarks, coamings, and other deck features can keep leaking gas from spilling overboard, allowing it to find its way below through hatches, vents or lockers.. If you have or plan to have on-deck gas tanks, consider them critically."

Can 'open deck' storage work? Obviously it's worked (so far) for you and other boaters in your area, but I don't see that as a good reason to recommend it to another boater.

My .02

JGator

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Take a look at these (Thermoelectric) I have a 40 quart version. Does use a lot of batter when the engine isn't running and 110 volt converters are available.