Seats

BruceDeuce

Seaman
I have a 1990 Sea Nymph 175 and it has 2 pedestal seats. I want to change the passenger seat to a lounge seat. Can someone give me recommendations on type of seat and installation? Thanks!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Seats

Here's a few seats to choose from, and they should come with installation instructions.

Back-to-Back Lounge Boat Seats - iboats

I would think the install by fastening a couple of "nailer" 2x4's to the deck to fit inside the base and then fastening the base to the nailers.

BruceDeuce

Seaman

Thanks jigngrub. Ive been told to go with the fiberglass base as the wood rots out.

fishrdan

Admiral

I would think the install by fastening a couple of "nailer" 2x4's to the deck to fit inside the base and then fastening the base to the nailers.

I used 2x2 metal L brackets on my last boat (4 per seat) and they held it down just fine.

SDSeville

Lieutenant

I will be installing new seats soon and will be using nailers (glassed to the deck) as jigngrub mentions. That way I will not have to worry about screwing anything directly to my new deck. I am sure the L brackets would work great too if the screw holes are sealed properly.

F14CRAZY

Ensign

I used Wise lounge seats in my Bayliner. They have plastic bases. I used stainless screws w/ fender washes to the raised seat bases as these Capri's have with 5200

UncleWillie

Captain

Mine came with The Back to back seats.
They were way too low.
I rebuilt the seat base out of plywood and multi coats of urethane under the carpeting.
The seats are now at the standard kitchen chair height of 18 inches.
We are no longer sitting in the "Basement" and the extra storage space comes in very handy.

BoatSeats2.jpg BoatSeats3.jpg

I also replaced the seat pedestal to be able to sit and see over the windshield at the same time.
Instead of raising the bolster, I can just raise the whole seat.

BoatSeats1.jpg

BruceDeuce

Seaman

I will be installing new seats soon and will be using nailers (glassed to the deck) as jigngrub mentions. That way I will not have to worry about screwing anything directly to my new deck. I am sure the L brackets would work great too if the screw holes are sealed properly.

So your suggesting fiberglass the 2x4 to the deck then screw the base into the 2x4?

SDSeville

Lieutenant

So your suggesting fiberglass the 2x4 to the deck then screw the base into the 2x4?

Yes, however, I will likely use 2X2. You would glass them so they are just inside the seat box and then screw the seat into the nailers. You would not see brackets and, if glassed properly, the 2X2 would become part of the deck, but with a glass barrier between it and the deck. That way if water enters the nailer somehow, it will not rot your deck also.

Don't get me wrong, people have been successfully screwing things to decks and sealing the holes for as long as there have been boats. I just want to be a little more careful after all the restore work I have done.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Lounge seats nowadays have plastic bases with screwholes cast in. I got a pair of Wise loungers from the now defunct Boaters World a few years back. Think I paid $239 for em. Worked just fine, my only complaint was if no one was sitting in the passenger seat when I crossed a big wake? It went into 'auto-recline' mode all by itself. Ended up getting pissed off'n just leaving it in lounge mode most of the time. Figger it decreased wind resistance ...?

Attachments

• NewSeats.jpg
    NewSeats.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 0

BruceDeuce

Seaman

SDseville makes sense better safe than sorry!

V153 looks like ya almost have a full bed in that boat! Nice setup!