mercury175 powerhead removal

gkplt

Recruit
1993 mercury 175 powerhead removal. have loosened and removed everything that the manual calls for to remove before lifting, 10 nuts and washers, rear lower cowling aft bracket support and cannot get it to budge. have the powerhead under alot of pressure with the hoist and it will not budge. figure that there is corrision on the through bolts. just looking for ideas before i start dismantling the engine and destroying something.

thanks

M

Maxz695

Re: mercury175 powerhead removal

Driveshaft may be stuck and the shifter arm needs to be removed before taking the powerhead off. I suggest removing the Lower unit and shift rod from the powerhead before trying to lift it out.

gkplt

Recruit

That was the first thing that I did, going to replace the impeller. Everything else is disconnected. Just trying not to destroy anything because these motors run perfect. Just going to replace the steering arms and the powertrim unit is leaking and powertrim motor just quit. Was hoping that there was that one nut or bolt that was special to the 1993 motor.

Thanks

M

Maxz695

It may be possible there is still a nut holding it on. Someone with knowledge of the bolt pattern for this engine might give you more info.

Dukedog

Captain

It may be possible there is still a nut holding it on. Someone with knowledge of the bolt pattern for this engine might give you more info.

Not that lucky! Only ten nuts n washers. Ya got tha dreaded "stuck" corrosion in tha adapter/downhousing (studs) symptoms. Gonna take lotsa patience and finesse ta get it broke loose and not be tempted ta destroy something...............

gkplt

Recruit

think you right to late on the destroying something. removed the lower driveshaft cover mounts and tried to remove driveshaft cover and it wont even move. thanks again