Big man pedistal seats

HenryB

Petty Officer 1st Class
Any input on sturdy pedestal seats for a 250 pounder?

Last edited:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Big man pedistal seats

What kind of boat are you going to install them in? Make and model?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It is critical that pedestal seats are installed on a strong, stable surface. 3/4" marine ply in perfect condition is bare minimum.

HenryB

Petty Officer 1st Class

My boat has a metal (aluminum) reinforced deck, center console, so the pedestal base is secure. It is the plastic seats that break easily for me, the mounting bolt holes for attaching the seat to the pedestal. I’m talking West Marine, Wise, Todd, Springfield, Pilot chairs. They all required rework at the mounting bolt holes after less that a year or two of use.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

If it's just the seat and not the base or pedestal, I guess you're just going to have to keep buying until you find one that lasts... and you may not. Maybe see if you can find one with a good warranty like 5 yrs. or more.

Jeep Man

Commander

Check out veada.com and click on "helm seats". A cut above the rest I believe.

UncleWillie

Captain

... It is the plastic seats that break easily for me, the mounting bolt holes for attaching the seat to the pedestal. ...

So the real problem is the bolts/screws that attach the seats to the base that keep pulling out.

A few options.
Add Lock Washers and make sure the screws are tight at all times. This may mean every time you go out until you get a history.
Glue the screws in. 3M 5200?
Change the screws out for the next larger size and glue them in before you have the problem.
Install Metal Inserts and change to machine bolts and lock washers and Lock-Tite.

The failure is caused by the relative movement applying all the stress to one bolt at a time as is wiggles.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

It all depends on how much you want to spend. TODD makes some pretty bullet proof chairs. STIDD even stronger. If the seats are ripping off the pedestal than try through bolting them on with big washers at both ends.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Here is a Veada seat for $309:

Veada.jpg

and a Todd seat for $1,350. The Todd seat weighs 150 lbs. (that is one solid seat!!!)

Todd.jpg

I used to weigh 265 and have had a Todd seat (not the one pictured) in my boat for 22 years with no problems. They are unbelievably solid but you pay for it. There are other seats available for a lot less too. Again it comes down to what you're wiling to spend.