'89 Bayliner OMC Cobra Distributor

Armyboater

Cadet
Hey y?all,
I've been on iboats since I bought a boat this past summer and discovered all too late that I was in over my head. I wanted to say thanks to all for the help that I've been able to creep from here. :D

Now the story of my boat is I wound up with an ?89 Bayliner 1950 Capri Bowrider with an I/O Chevy 305 and Cobra outdrive. After doing some research I've discovered that I made almost every mistake you can possibly make when buying a boat:frusty:. Expensive lesson to learn :eek:. After replacing the long block and getting all that squared away, I was told that the old distributor was replaced with an automotive one and everything that didn't fit in with it was junked. I spent all summer working on the boat and put it up for the winter in the hopes of getting it finished up this winter.

So basically I need some help. I know I need a new distributor, but I was also told I need a shift interrupter. Is there anything else I'm needing? And any help finding the right one would be great.:yield:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: '89 Bayliner OMC Cobra Distributor

Hey y’all,
I've been on iboats since I bought a boat this past summer and discovered all too late that I was in over my head. I wanted to say thanks to all for the help that I've been able to creep from here. :D

Now the story of my boat is I wound up with an ’89 Bayliner 1950 Capri Bowrider with an I/O Chevy 305 and Cobra outdrive. After doing some research I've discovered that I made almost every mistake you can possibly make when buying a boat:frusty:. Expensive lesson to learn :eek:. After replacing the long block and getting all that squared away, I was told that the old distributor was replaced with an automotive one and everything that didn't fit in with it was junked. I spent all summer working on the boat and put it up for the winter in the hopes of getting it finished up this winter.

So basically I need some help. I know I need a new distributor, but I was also told I need a shift interrupter. Is there anything else I'm needing? And any help finding the right one would be great.:yield:

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... For a retro-fit Distributor, the Delco Est is hard to beat,..

'n, Yes, you need a way to cause the motor to stumble, when comin' Outa gear...
donno how yer gonna do that, if all the important stuff was thrown away...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Are you sure it's a Chevy 305? Because in 89 the only 5.0L engines used were Fords. Seems odd that a 350 would be replaced with a 305, but stranger things have happened.

Take a picture of your engine so we can see what is missing about the shift interrupt system, even if the ESA was removed you may have some of the shift bracket left. (where the shift cables hook up on the engine)

Armyboater

Cadet

Sorry these are the best I can do right now. I'm out of the area for a few months. I'm just trying to get the parts so that I can have them waiting on me when I get back.

Pic 1.jpgPic 2.jpgPic 3.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

talon8

Seaman Apprentice

Looks like the shift switches and interrupt on the bracket in photo 1. Definatly an autmotive distributor and it needs to go away. I wish I had a nickle for every one that I knew that tried to put an automotive distributor in a boats and then wondered why they start and run fine but run like crap out of the hole and at speed. I might have enough to buy a six pack!

Last edited:

Armyboater

Cadet

Thanks again for all the help. I ordered the kit from Michigan Motorz. Hopefully I'll be able to get a couple runs out of it next season.