Info on this old motor

CHAWK46

Seaman Apprentice
I've got this old Johnson that I've had for 40 years. Actually, I think the last time I ran it was 40 years ago. Got it from an old widow that my mom took care of. Took a day to get it running and the only time I used it was to put it on a row boat to cut zig-zags through soft ice to make it blow off the lake. Worked, ice blew off during the night and I put my old 15' AeroCraft with 110 hp. Merc in the next day and skied. Never actually touched the water, we were that good. OHHHH, to be young again.

Anyway, started taking it apart today to restore it. Anybody got a service manual for it? Here it is.

DSC00248.JPGDSC00249.jpgDSC00250.JPGDSC00256.jpg

Any help on year and hp. would be aprieciated.

CHAWK46

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Info on this old motor

Can't find any model or serial. The decals on the tank are in poor condition. I can make out that the fuel mix is 1/2 pint per gallon. The starting instruction decal isn't legible. I must have figured it out back when I was young and a mechanical genius. I guess I'll have to regres to my former self. Got the carb soaking, not too long.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

At first glance I thought it was an A35 until I saw the steering handle was round.

The model number will be on the rope plate on top of the flywheel,may be small.

CHAWK46

Seaman Apprentice

At first glance I thought it was an A35 until I saw the steering handle was round. I would say it is a 35 series motor though, be it a J/K/P etc...Late 1920's vintage.

The model number will be on the rope plate on top of the flywheel,may be small.

It's square channel. The grip is round rubber.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

For sure there is nothing stamped on the rope sheave? The round piece on top of the flywheel that you slip the knotted end of the rope in for starting?

CHAWK46

Seaman Apprentice

For sure there is nothing stamped on the rope sheave? The round piece on top of the flywheel that you slip the knotted end of the rope in for starting?

Yes. LYNITE 71_611140 best as I can see. This is on top of the flywheel. Need to get to the hardware store to get some bolts to pull the flywheel today. No spark, points need cleaning.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Im not sure what that is, but in your original pic #3 you can see the rope sheave still on top of the flywheel. You can see the writing on it almost in the pic, but I cant zoom in enough on my computer to see it. Take a pic of that plate for us.

To pop the flywheel, loosen the nut, then thread it back on a few turns, pull up on the flywheel and rap the nut/crank with a soft metal hammer. No need to wail on it, a few good thumps and the flywheel will pop right off. Either have someone pull up on the flywheel while you hit the nut, or pry up with a good screwdriver.

CHAWK46

Seaman Apprentice

Model 200, serial 251410. Having a hard time getting the flywheel off. Probably been on it for 80 to 90 years. The 3 screws that hold the starter rope shreath on are not normal thread, not 20 threads per inch or 28. None of my flywheel pullers are working. I don't want to break anything, replacement parts aren't exactly common. I need to replace the spark plug leads, they're frayed where they are clamped under the timing plate.

Again, anybody got a manual?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

There we go, I knew it was there.

That is a 1936 3.3hp

Did you try removing the flywheel as I suggested?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Here is a parts manual. I might have one somewhere, the 200 is one of the motors I havent owned yet.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1936-1937-VI...200-210-PARTS-MANUAL-P-N-38-127-/230869232308

Some info on it though. It originally sold for $82.50. It has a 2" bore, 1.5" stroke. 3.3hp rated at 3300 RPMS. Gas tank capacity is 7 pints. Originally took a Champion C7 spark plug. Weighs in at a whopping 38 3/4 lbs. Point gap is 020

When reinstalling the flywheel, the original manual didnt have torque value, simply stated to give wrench a few sharp blows with a hammer to make fast. I would guess about 30 ft/lbs like a lightwin. Also be very careful when soldering the new lead onto the coil. Too much heat and you could destroy the coil. Use a paste,not acid flux.

If you need help testing the coil let us know.

Good luck.

CHAWK46

Seaman Apprentice

Hello my friend to the north west. I'm near Syracuce. Used to cruise the Rideau Canal. Great fishing up there. Like the Brewers Retail too. I still haven't got the flywheel off. I'm being very carefull. It's got Champion 5M5's. Be interesting to see if the screw tops are still out there. I'm going to keep wacking at it.

In the mean time, once I skin this one, here's my next. Veterinarian friend on mine gave it to me a few years ago.

DSC00258.jpgDSC00259.jpg

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Use the Champion D16, you can still get them at your local NAPA

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer

Ha ha' give wrench a few sharp blows to make fast,,,,, Heck I'v been doing this for years and never knew it was recommended . that's to funny!