First trip to Blount's Creek, NC tomorrow!

Cap'n Chaos

Petty Officer 1st Class
My buddy, son and I are headed out to Blount's Creek in Chocowinity, NC tomorrow... we've never fished that area before.

Does anyone have any information or advice about the area?

Hazards to avoid... good fishing spots... bait suggestions?

I've heard that folks are catching striped bass and trout around there and we'd love to hook a few.

I called a bait shop in the area and talked to them, that area had some rain today but not much and the weather tomorrow sounds OK to me. Partly cloudy and 70 degrees.... My only concern is the wind, WSW at 6mph. We'll be in a 14x54 Alumacraft... do I have enough boat for the conditions?

Hope to hear back from someone...

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: First trip to Blount's Creek, NC tomorrow!

Stop in to a bait shop close to the area you'll be fishing and spend some money, then start asking questions that you need answers to and explain this is your first time there... hopefully you'll get some good help.

Cap'n Chaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've already scouted one out... "Cotton Patch Landing", he says fishing today was good and he has "everything we need".

My buddy, Milton, says we should use live shrimp if we can find it...but this time of year finding some could prove difficult according to the man at the bait shop.

(I wasn't sure where to post this thread, I know that this area is "brackish water" , not fresh and not saltwater... hopefully someone that fishes this area will see it and respond.)

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Ok, you're going after the Speckled Sea Trout then... those things are some mighty fine eating!!! I'd ignore the Stripers completely if I could get into a mess of those snaggled toothed trout.

Let us know if you have any luck.

Cap'n Chaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Goose egg.... skunked.... not even a bite. I didn't have my hopes set too high, fishing in a new area is usually tough but this was about as bad as it gets. I don't feel too bad about it ...the locals weren't catching much either.

What I wasn't expecting was 13 other boats in a very confined area, way too much activity for people to expect to catch fish.
We made the best of it and we even went all the way to the mouth of Blount's Bay to see what it was all about but it was so foggy you couldn't really see anything. The sun didn't come out until about 4pm and by then we were all pretty tired and hungry so we called it a day.

The picture that probably won't show up was taken right before we left, it was really beautiful without all of the boats everywhere.

We all had fun and made it home safely, to me that's what it's all about.

blounts creek1.jpg

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Sorry to hear about the skunko cap'n, but at least you got out on the water and drowned some bait!

That's a nice pic and it looks like a beautiful area.