Help with Trolling Motor Dash Control

gavinhickson

Cadet
Hey Guys, I live on an urban lake in AZ where we can have up to a 20' electric powered pontoon. I got a great deal on a 17 footer but it needs some TLC. It came with a trolling motor (I believe it was a MotorGuide but I could be wrong) but it was damaged so I tossed it a while back. Anyways, it has this dash mounted control that has no markings on it for a manufacturer (See picture). I was hoping to buy a new motor that would work with it or get a new motor with a similar style dash mounted control.

Right now we are using a small 34 lb trolling motor off of my fishing boat but the speed controls are the twist kind on the motor and that makes it tough when trying to dock it. I definitely want to upgrade to a much bigger thrust. There are quite a few boats on the lake that have dual trolling motors. Any ideas of a good setup with dash controls? I appreciate the help.

Thanks.
Pontoon Control.jpg

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help with Trolling Motor Dash Control

Forget using that control on anything current. Most new motors are now "digital" so that panel is of no use. Most new electric steer motors like MinnKota Power Drives and MotorGuide equivalents have very convenient remote controls much like the unit for your car. Why bother with this outdated (and useless) panel. A remote control lets you operate the motor from anywhere in the boat. A 55# thrust Minnkota Power Drive or MotorGuide will do nicely on that boat.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Help with Trolling Motor Dash Control

Go introduce yourself to some of your neigbors and see what they have, if there is a dash control out there one of them may have one.

I am not aware of any dash controls, I have seen wireless foot and hand but no dash ones but then again I haven't been looking.

And I concure, that dash control is pretty old and useless with any of the new trollers.