1977 140HP Evinrude Electrical Wiring Help

Recruit
Hi All

First time poster and from down under AUS.

I recently acquired an old Evinrude V4 140hp 1977 Model number 140743S. The wiring on the terminal block above the port side bank was a bit of a mess. Looking through various wiring diagrams i have managed to get on top of most of the wiring on the terminal block however there is clearly a regulater on this motor bolted to the port side bank which is not appearing in any wiring diagrams with a black wire grounded to the block. In addition to this black wire is two rather long wires one being RED and the other being YELLOW. I take it the yellow must go to the terminal block and screw under the yellows ( one from stator and the other from rectifier ). What i am having trouble with understanding is the RED wire from this regulater goes into a type of scotch joiner and comes out the other side a purple color. Unsure if this wire goes to terminal block and if it is placed and screwed under the starter solenoid red wire or the purple wire on the terminal block. Any help would be most appreciated.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1977 140HP Evinrude Electrical Wiring Help

It should go to a purple wire on the terminal block. This was an add on voltage regulator when you only had a rectifier in the charging system to hold the voltage down. Part # was 173640. You may even get along with out it. Just monitor your battery voltage when running.

Recruit

Thanks for that. I will give that a try and report back on how i got on.

Cheers

Recruit

Thanks Boobie

Got around to doing this and all is good now and running as sweet as a nut. Thanks for the help much appreciated.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You're welcome............