1996 112 spl. evinrude / Help

I need some hlep w/ 112 spl 1996 model # xe112sledr ... been running fine the last 2 years I have owned it yesterday quit running ... has fresh gas I use seafome once an while & stabal marine green stuff... motor always ran great ... took carbs abart everything looked great, did compression test 125 lbs on top cyns & 120 on bottom cyns.. new plugs... old plugs less than a year old looked ok just flooded ... fuel bulb stays hard all fuel lines look good all wires every thing seems like in good order .. not sure how to test power pack or coils or exactly where the power pach is I belive its on top of motor next tp fly wheel ... I have some wrenching skills .. just changed out cams in motor cycle & rejetted the carbs ... I will be ordering a shop manual today if some could recomend a good place to buy one from ... thanks for any & all help ... Howard

Last edited:
Re: 1996 112 spl. evinrude / Help

I really need help have been checking every thing... motor starts some times but dies quickly //

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Will the spark jump a 7/16" open air gap on a spark tester ?? Get the OEM factory service manual. You should be able to buy one right here on I-Boats.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

When you try to start the engine when cold (choke the engine and crank it over) pull a couple of plugs. Are they wet or dry? Wet=no fire, dry=no fuel. Easy to check spark on that engine when cranking with an inductive timing light. The flashes from the gun will show misfires, no fire, weak firing. Compare the flashes from all 4 plug wires. The fuel primer bulb should stay hard until the engine starts running, when it will get softer as the fuel pump draws fuel through it. The bulb should not collapse once it's running.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I never use a timing light as the open air gap test puts a better load on the ignition system to tell your it's true condition.

have strong spark & wet plugs ..held plug next to block strong spark ordered a shop manual for the life of me never had this much problem with an engine before ... gonna open the fuel pump tomorrow... the choke works good im thinking maybe intermeting fuel delivery problem... seems like it gets fuel then stops getting fuel changed out the 2o amp fuse on top of the engine it was blown ....but still wont run ...

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

That engine has to crank at 200-250 rpm's to fire the ignition. Engine probably cranks fast with the plugs out. Once the plugs are in and it's cranking, do you think it is reaching that rpm? For and original factory service manual check out: outboardbooks.com Dont settle for any substitutes-they are a waste of $.

the engine cranks fine.. when i turn the little red handle choke fires right up runs for little bit then when i put it back to where it needs to be just dies ...seems like not getting fuel .. took the fuel pump abart seems to look ok the plastice rubber diafram seems little streched but in good shape ... really

now wont start at all .... :-( hopefully when the manual gets here will help out ...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If the plugs are wet fuel is being delivered. I think you are mistaking "weak spark" for "good spark" If you really feel it is not getting fuel, mix some fuel/oil in a spray bottle and spray into the carb intakes while cranking. If it is a lack of fuel the engine should fire. If it is weak or lack of spark it won't. I'm betting the latter is true.

thanks for your response ..... the spark is not a real rich deep blue spark more like a light burnt orange some times little blue.... Please continue ..

I appreciate all info I have some wrenching skills older cars, motor cycles, 25 hp johnson outboard my 1st v4 outboard motor... is in very good shape... I am thinking I am missing something soo simple...

2 gallons of water in the gas tank...AHUG.... running awesome now... worn out gas cap.... opened up the tank through the gas gauge sending unit ,,, took a rag & coat hanger, dried all the water up after pumping out all fuel & most of the water ... Runs like a champ once again ....