New dsl router doesnt like my Cisco 350 external wireless card?

ezbtr

Commander
I have a few - they see wireless ntwk, but dont want to connect, I did buy two Dlink USB wireless adapters that work great on a laptop and desktop - me and my sons internal wireless on other two laptops work great as well - any thoughts?

NYBo

Admiral
Re: New dsl router doesnt like my Cisco 350 external wireless card?

I don't like it either. :)

What security protocols does the software for the Cisco adapters support? If they are older, chances are you can't use the most current stuff the router supports.

hrdwrkingacguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is one wireless N and the other is B or G? or is the router set to only wireless G or only wireless N mode? :eek:

I briefly looked those up...they are wireless B only (from what I could tell in 30 seconds of googling) might have something to do with it...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

duplicate post

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Do the computers with the wireless cards see the wireless router or are you just having problems getting through the security. You need to provide more info in your post.

You know how to log into the router to view its settings right?

802.11b and 802.11g are compatible other than the speed difference. Unless your router is set to N only, you shouldn't have an issue with that.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Are these Win 7 machines and are you trying to join the network or just get internet access?
In order to get internet access you have to join the network.

NYBo

Admiral

I briefly looked those up...they are wireless B only (from what I could tell in 30 seconds of googling) might have something to do with it...
Bingo! 802.11b only supports the WEP security protocol, whereas your new router is almost definitely set up by default for something more advanced, like WPA2. Two choices: replace the Cisco adapters (better choice) or lower your security protocol to WEP (worse choice; this protocol provides weak security).

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Bingo! 802.11b only supports the WEP security protocol
802.11b supports WPA2 but that Cisco card probably doesn't.

Can easily do a test by turning off security and see if you can connect that way first.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

That's because WPA didn't come out until 2003 or so and most 802.11B cards came out before then. If a manufacturer decides to update firmware in the older cards, it can be done.

You are correct though. Most 802.11b cards won't support it.

From the WiFi Alliance
http://www.wi-fi.org/knowledge-center/glossary/wpa2™
"Like WPA, WPA2 is designed to secure all versions of 802.11 devices, including 802.11b, 802.11a, and 802.11g, multi-band and multi-mode. (See WPA2-Enterprise, WPA2-Personal)."