Data recording: Merc 4.3

BPKlein

Recruit
Hello,

I am looking at trading my Chaparral. It is a 2002 with a 190hp 4.3. The dealer I am considering trading with says that they can download engine run times at various rpm's, and even provided me with a hand written breakdown of hours at various rpm's. The hours that they claim are on the boat don't match what the tachometer says. I am not saying that I believe the tachometer 100%, but I didn't know that this engine had any data storage capability. The engine is 2002 4.3 with a carburetor and an alpha one gen II. I don't have a serial number here now, but I am hoping for some help. Is there anyway possible that this engine has some sort of data recorder that can be downloaded?

Thank You,

Bryan

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Data recording: Merc 4.3

Fuel injected engines with Engine Control Modules (ECMs) can record that information.
Normally aspirated engines; not so likely.
The dealer was making a blanket statement about current engines, and not necessarily your specific engine.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If the dealer has the proper scan tool and harness, yes, they can get the hours off the Thunderbolt V ignition module. Even on carbed engines. Sure hope it's the original module, or you still won't know.

BPKlein

Recruit

Thanks for the information Don. I was not aware that the Thunderbolt ignition had any form of data memory. That is good to know.

Thank You,

Bryan

achris

More fish than mountain goat

You'll often see a discrepancy between the hours recorded on a tacho against the hours on the module. I have about 10 hours more on my hour meter than the engine ECU. I put it down to the fact that the hour meter records the time ignition is in the RUN position, whereas the ECU records the time the engine is actually running...

pyrotek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If the dealer has the proper scan tool and harness, yes, they can get the hours off the Thunderbolt V ignition module. Even on carbed engines. Sure hope it's the original module, or you still won't know.

I am also suprised that a carbed Thunderbolt V ignition stores this info. Is it just total hours or actually hours @ rpm. Where do they connect this harness up to? I'm only familiar with a car's ODB connector, which I have never seen on my engine. Just curious.