changing a wooden flybridge

circle hook

Petty Officer 1st Class
has anyone undertaken this task i have an offer to buy a 31 foot jersey sportfish fiberglass with a wooden flybridge witch is to have soom rot everyone i spoke to said just walk away from it is it that tuff of a job and can it be done by a novist with some skills Thanks Bob

circle hook

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: changing a wooden flybridge

the owner said just slight rotten the flybridge but the question is a few who I spoke to all say wood on fiberglass is bad and rotton just leave it its in the 70's but they say there is no end once it starts

Bondo

Staff member

the owner said just slight rotten the flybridge but the question is a few who I spoke to all say wood on fiberglass is bad and rotton just leave it its in the 70's but they say there is no end once it starts

Ayuh,.... They're probably Right,....

Never believe the current owner,... He wants yer money, 'n will say Anything to get rid of the liability he now owns...

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Are we speaking a wood flybridge surround, or the cabin house? Topside rot can be a lot to replace but assuming you don't fall through the flybridge floor, shouldn't make the boat unusable.

With that said, some boats are prone to top side rot and other than a complete redo, you will end up chasing it around for a long time.

Ned L

Commander

Well, we can't really asses your skills. I don't remember too specifically what the bridge on a '70's Jersey skiff looks like in detail, a picture or two would help us discuss what skills would be involved. -- One thing I will mention about some early '70's Jersey skiffs is that they were built with fiberglass fuel (gas) tanks there were known to weep gasoline. They were tough to get insurance on. They were pretty decent boats, but that is one thing I would check out (what kind of tanks does she have). Maybe they weren't 'glass tanks, or maybe they have been changed out.