anti-fouling paint

wswaneyw

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Can someone tell me why I would or would not have to use anti-foul paint on my boat??? Tell me if i am wrong, but, isnt anti-fouling paint used if the boat remains in the water for months at a time. The reason for my question is the fact that my boat sees more time on the trailer than it does in the water. Any help would be great. Thanks

flashback

Captain
Re: anti-fouling paint

if you trailer the boat, forget the anti-fouling..

wswaneyw

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Flashback,,,, I had assumed it was used for boats sitting in water (dont they all) for long periods of time. I have spent a gazillion hours on my project boat and i am not real excited about doing the wrong thing at this point. Any reason why i cant use regular automotive paint on the boat.. It is fiberglass.

93bronco

Ensign

are you saying that the bottom had some type of paint on it other than the factory and you want to replace it with auto paint? auto paint is not marine paint, dont think it would hold up to well below the water line.<br />i know when i bought my project trophy it had worn antifoul paint, so naturally it had to come off and another type of paint put back on. so i stripped, sealed and repainted with trailerable black anti foulant paint. only did that cause the rivers here are so dirty with all the container ships that i dont have to worry about scrubbing the bottom back to white. the black adds to the color sceme. good luck