Do I need a different Carb? If so, where to get one?

flconrad

Seaman
Hi, Got everything else worked out on my motor, now I am down to the carb being the only problem. Now, when it runs, it floods itself, runs too rich, and floods itself to a halt. I have taken the carb down twice with entirely new kits each time, float and all. I am beginning to think this is not even the right carb on this motor. It has 0398098 stamped on top.

I had read somewhere in the forum that there was a parts dealer that let a guy try a different carb and then if it worked would charge him.

I bought this motor like this and have never been able to get it to run right. Tried everything on this forum, secret files, carb adjust, everything is correct, spark, compression, etc. I had also heard on the forum, that the Belgium made motors had problems with the carbs? I would really like to try a different carb on this motor, but I am sure of what I should be looking for. 1985 20 hp BE20BFCOS. It is a derated 20hp. Maybe a PO put this carb on it? Is this motor really a 25hp? Since it is Belgium made, there are no reference part numbers for this motor on ********** or marineengine.com Where would I start to find a different carb?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Do I need a different Carb? If so, where to get one?

Of course the Belgium source clouds the exact model.The U S 18,20 and 25 pre 77 motors were 22 cubes.
77 on were 31.8. The 22 cube motor is very light I think less than 100 lbs while the 31.8 is significantly heavier.
You may be able confirm the size by weight.
Theoretically an 85 would be the 31.8 block. assuming jets and carb over all size are within reason you could fit any size carb to any motor and it would run especially if you could adjust high and low speed needle valves.
Of course yours I believe are fixed. Obviously if the carb was to small it would lack power or if oversized(within reason)
it might be too rich but not to the point a flooding out.
What were the carb kits you used supposed to fit?
When you say it floods does gas come out the carb snout? Or do you just end up with wet plugs?
Are you sure the stator advances as it should and it picks up the carb linkage as it goes."link N sync"
Its possible your jets are wrong someone may have changed them.Jet size should be on them hopefully someone will know
what is right.
If you post some good closeup pictures of the carb and setup someone may be able to recognize
if its typical.
Are you sure the float and float valve are working right?
The 31 cube is a little over 100 lbs the 22 cube about 80 lbs.

flconrad

Seaman

Thanks steelespike. Yes, it is the 31.8. The carb kit I ordered- Carburetor Kit & Float Johnson/Evinrude (18-75 HP) 18-7222 392061 398729 396701 1969-1990 was off ebay. Gas does not come out of carb snout, just the plugs are very black and oily, but will wipe right off. Using 50:1 non ethanol 89 octane. I will pull carb again, and post clear all around pics. I have performed the "link N sync" as found on this board. Hope to have pics by this eve.

AlTn

Commander

if your motor has an electric primer that could be a source of too much fuel as well...for the electric start 1985 20 and 25 hp...the main jet is a 47D < it'll be stamped on the main jet >..the intake manifolds part no.s differ as one is a 396788 the other a 398489...I fooled with a Belgium 6.5 hp < turned out to most closely resemble a detuned 8 hp. > and the 8 had features that didn't correspond with the model year of the 6.5...took a lot of parts diagrams searching on marineengine.com to find the closest match.. fwiw

kbait

Commander

If your motor has a primer system, pull the feed line from the primer at the inlet on carb base, plug that line and cap the inlet barb and test run. If you have a faulty primer, it could be dumping fuel through that line and flooding out everytime. If it's a manual primer (pull handle to 'squirt' fuel through that line), make sure the handle is pushed all the way in after priming. A guy brought me one that acted like yours, and he didn't have that 'plunger' handle pushed all the way in, and it would immediately flood like yours. Check on that before you tear it down again. If it still floods w/disabled primer feed (no fuel pouring out carb snout or bowl overflow), something is definitely amiss with your carb. Maybe someone tried to drill out the main jet to 're-tune' for more hp? That can't work w/o increasing carb throat diameter.

If you end up wanting to swap carbs, call Tim's outboard 218-682-2331. Give 'em your model number and they'll know what'll match up. I'd ask 'em for a 25hp carb (bigger throat and jet than yours). May as well upgrade a bit.

The part you wrote about 'testing' a used carb and paying later was indeed Tim's. I don't know if that's standard procedure w/them (I use them OFTEN), but they will certainly refund you if you need to return it.

Good luck!!

flconrad

Seaman

Hi and also thanks to kbait and AITn ! I did tear it down today. Link below to all the pics. BUT, I did find that there is no needle valve bearing in my carb which is #3 in the pic of the instructions that came with the kit. It came with the kit, but on the marineengine.com site for an '85 Evinrude 20-25 hp carb diagram, it does not show one. Do I need to seat the bearing in there, and if so, how is the proper way to do it. I am not talking about #2 in the diagram, I have a new one in there. Also, kbait, I have a manual primer system, and I had just ordered a rebuild kit for it and new lines. This has been done and installed. But, after re-install tomorrow, if problems persist, I will delete the primer and test like that. I am running this motor on the boat and in a barrel. If I get improvement tomorrow, I may take it to the water. Pic link: Carb Pics Photos by flconrad | Photobucket

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

There is a slim chance a bad pump diaphram could leak gas into the crank case though not likely to cause flooding of both cylinders.
But it might exacerbate an existing condition.

flconrad

Seaman

jasper60103, I believe that may be my exact problem, and also I may have set the float wrong. I have a float gauge now. Hope to post a vid of this thing running good pretty soon! We will see.

AlTn

Commander

your carb must not require that #3 bearing...just to add..make certain the boss gasket #7 is installed and the tab on the end of the metal float arm points upward towards the carb body

tjhamms

Seaman Apprentice

To install bearing, install packing ( part #2 in diagram) slide plastic bearing over needle valve and slowly turn in untill lightly seated. Go slowly. Than back out 5/8 turn. In the pic. it looks like its in there but you can tell better than me. Also make sure the clip for the float valve is installed. your old carb. may not have had a clip.

jasper60103

Commander

Sounds great. Good job ! :)

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Gotta love happy endings :)

flconrad

Seaman

UPDATE: Took her out on the river today, started right up, but missed a couple times at idle, no other problems otherwise. Took the cowl off on the water and leaned in the idle jet just a hair, and all is good. Thanks again to everyone!