3.7L 180 Parts and Information

Leedanger

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey there. I have a new boat project, it's a 35' Searay with dual Merc 3.7L 180's Serial# B730773. I'm having a hard time finding a few parts locally, but I believe if I am not mistaken that the head, connecting rods, pistons, and flywheel are from the Ford 460. Is this true and does this mean I can use the valve stem seals for a Ford 460? Head gasket? Since I have two engines, one set of the v8 460 would cover everything I need if indeed the information I got was correct.
Thanks.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: 3.7L 180 Parts and Information

that is correct.But even the 470`s would be a stretch pushing a 35 footer.

guyaverage

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Might want to stick with a Mercruiser head gasket, as it was designed with the dissimilar metal (head iron, block aluminum) issue in mind. Have heard anecdotes about people using stock 460 replacement head gaskets and having issues after a short time.

Leedanger

Petty Officer 1st Class

that is correct.But even the 470`s would be a stretch pushing a 35 footer.

Agreed....It's a big stinkin' boat. Two bedrooms, full bath, and kitchen. I'm gonna have to put another axle on the trailer it appears, two is just not gonna cut it. I haven't had her out on the water yet to see if her ponies can trot, I've had it on the water, but didn't get far as we were taking on about a 1/2 gallon of water per second aka sinking. This was previously a salt water boat before it made it here to Utah, I'm assuming the salt began to corrode the port side gimbal ring housing creating a hole the diameter of a garden hose. So needless to say my real project right now is replacing both gimbal ring housings, I'm replacing the starboard side as a precaution.

Speaking of which, are pretty much all of the pre alpha versions of the gimbal ring housing the same? I recall on another boat having a very difficult time...the exhaust pipe wouldn't line up or something. I just don't remember what the details of the issue were. I had parts off of a 120hp or but needed parts for a 470 or something. Regardless I am going to use much more care this time in making sure the correct setup is installed, if you have an tips I'm all ears and eyes. I can get the exact serial off the current transom...but I do know it starts with a 5****** if that helps you help me.

Thanks as always for your help gentlemen.

Leedanger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Might want to stick with a Mercruiser head gasket, as it was designed with the dissimilar metal (head iron, block aluminum) issue in mind. Have heard anecdotes about people using stock 460 replacement head gaskets and having issues after a short time.

Good point....I didn't really think about the 460 being cast/cast. I generally use marine gaskets anyways, I was more-less having a tough time finding the valve guide seals and those they have here at the local O'Reillys. One more thing, it looks like valve lash is set on these by push rod length, does anyone have the procedure handy for that or tell me which manual I can find it in and I will look it up myself? Cheers.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Speaking of which, are pretty much all of the pre alpha versions of the gimbal ring housing the same?

No, lots of differences, up in the stickies Merc section is some ID info with pictures, might want to download the stuff and keep it handy.

They are also not Pre-Alphas, that doesn't mean anything. Either MC-1, R, or MR, then came Alpha I on the 470's

Leedanger

Petty Officer 1st Class

No, lots of differences, up in the stickies Merc section is some ID info with pictures, might want to download the stuff and keep it handy.

They are also not Pre-Alphas, that doesn't mean anything. Either MC-1, R, or MR, then came Alpha I on the 470's

I'm glad you said that, it finally set off the light bulb in my head. I've always felt unsure about the term "pre-alpha" and what it meant exactly, I must have heard it once from someone and took it for gospel as the blanket term for everything before an Alpha I. Makes sense as to why I've always struggled with the topic. I'll do some studying. Thanks.

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer

Some 470 parts are available @ breezeworks.net

Leedanger

Petty Officer 1st Class

So I got the head off of my starboard side engine, found a number of issues. Piston number 3 has a chunk out of the top side of it exposing the rings and I have two collapsed lifters which as you can guess equals two valves that are pretty ground down at the top of the stem.

I'm gonna have to dive into this engine a lot further than I expected and need to familiarize myself with the manual a little further. I have service manual number 2, is there a better one to follow for this model?

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer

Lee,

You might want to look at Service Manuel #8 in the Adults Only section.

Larry

Leedanger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lee,

You might want to look at Service Manuel #8 in the Adults Only section.

Larry

Thanks.
Can anyone tell me if the push rods and lifters are the same as in the 460?