Vinyl Decking and replacement engine

Barber

Recruit
I am begining the revamp of my 26' Starcraft Islander. 170 Merc Aluminum. I have two questions:<br />1. Has anyone used vinyl Deck material to replace the plywood decking, and their success?<br />2. I've heard little good about 170 aluminum merc's is there a v-6 that has a similar bolt pattern and would be a good replacement?Any other suggestions?<br /><br />Thanks!

RGR

Cadet
Re: Vinyl Decking and replacement engine

Hey Barber: <br />What year is your Starcraft. I am rebuilding my 1970 20 footer as we speak.<br />Rick :cool:

Hey RGR: What model is yours? I just got a '69 Chieftain in early winter and am waiting for decent weather to start sprucing it up.

Barber

Recruit

Mine is a 1985. I was hoping someone has delt with the vinyl decking (used as residential decking and dock material), it seems it would add a modern look, wear good, and be slip resistant.<br /><br />What motor do you have in your 20'?

Bondo

Staff member

The "Plastic Wood", that I think you're talking about, is Heavy,+ Thick.... I Wouldn't Even Consider It...<br />In a Starcraft, the plywood in the floor, Actually Helps "Tie" everything together.....<br />I put 1/2" P/T plywood in my 21' Islander, then coated it with Epoxy,+ dusted it with sand....<br />I posted about Power in another of your posts...

Barber: Don't know about the stuff you're talking about, but they put in new plastic floating docks at the little lake we fish at two years ago. Last summer I noticed they were beginning to warp and bulge/bubble. Just stopped by last week to see if there were any ice fisherman out and they really looked like hell. Buckling, bulging, warping...could hardly believe they were only two years old. I don't know the brand or composition of those units, but it certainly make me shy away from plastic!