Evinrude Ficht 115 Carbonized!!

urugol

Seaman Apprentice
So I picked up a 115 Ficht 99 model for a sweet deal the other day, this is an upgrade from a tired old 77 140 Evinrude. I got it on the cheap because the seller reported rough idling and maxing out at 4,000rpm. I have experience on Ficht powered jetskis, so I thought I would give this a go. I haven't started up this engine, but done comp tests which are fine and checked the plugs (pictured) and looked in the cyls with a borescope. Looks like the previous owner didn't decarb or have the plugs correctly indexed. So I have 2 questions here, the first is regarding the de-carb has anyone pulled the heads to do this. I'm thinking of doing it this way to get the piston heads and domes squeaky clean, I have done it this way on jetskis always works well for me - I know its more time consuming but you get to inspect and ensure the job is done. Secondly, has anyone run NGK PZFR6H plugs as an alternative to the Champion 7712's? I know on the jetski ficht systems a lot of people have had issues with 7712's and gone back to the more expensive NGK. I'm also waiting for my diag software to arrive so I can test the coils, injectors, fuel pump etc before firing this thing up.

Attachments

• Plugs.jpg
    Plugs.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 0

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude Ficht 115 Carbonized!!

Normally a decarb is done with the mtr running and then let it sit for a period of time and then run the heck out of it. You have one bad plug there for sure but it's your choice for whatever plugs you want to use. I always go with the OEM recommended plugs.