1998 115 Johnson J115ELECM Wiring at the Remote Control

midsized johnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recently purchased a scooter with a 1998 115 hp Johnson. Problem is, the wiring at the remote is somewhat jury rigged. The tach got hardwired into what appears to be the main harness and the overheat buzzer pigtail is plugged in but seems to be out of the loop. I've got a repair manual on order, just wondering if anyone knows a link to either the parts description for that model or better still, a wiring diagram.

midsized johnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1998 115 Johnson J115ELECM Wiring at the Remote Control

Upon closer inspection, the wiring harness seems to be correct with the purple, grey, and ground wires run to a non system check tach. We powered the buzzer from the battery and it made noise, so it seems to be working. I installed an OMC systems check gauge yesterday. The lights work, but the buzzer doesn't sound when the key is turned on. The manual says to check the purple wire to the buzzer for 12V with the key on, but what would you use for ground? Tach ground wire? Did I just answer my own question???

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

When the key is turned on the system check tach should cycle thru the four lights and buzz once bruefly. Ground is the black wire which is one of the 8 in the system check plug.

The system check tach should be pulsing the buzzer.

midsized johnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When the key is turned on the system check tach should cycle thru the four lights and buzz once bruefly. Ground is the black wire which is one of the 8 in the system check plug.

The system check tach should be pulsing the buzzer.
Thanks, the system check cycles the lights, but I don't hear the buzzer, although it may be clicking, but that could be my imagination. I need to pull it out from under the console and put my hand on it when I turn the key on to be sure.
Otherwise, with the key on, using a test tool probe, it seems like I should be able to see if the purple wire has 12 volts by touching that lead and the tach's ground.

midsized johnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, the system check cycles the lights, but I don't hear the buzzer, although it may be clicking, but that could be my imagination. I need to pull it out from under the console and put my hand on it when I turn the key on to be sure.
Otherwise, with the key on, using a test tool probe, it seems like I should be able to see if the purple wire has 12 volts by touching that lead and the tach's ground.
For anyone ignorant as me, the above mentioned method worked to check for voltage at the pigtail. Buzzer clicks but no worky!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

OK, sounds like a bad buzzer