Proper throttle and shifter installation sequence 1973 mercury 850

Kmyers

Seaman
I have already installed new cables at the control box and I know which one is the shifter cable I'm just not sure of the position control lever needs to be in and if I should be in forward, reverse, or neutral. Thanks for all the help I have already had. I hope to learn enough to be able to help someone also.

M

Maxz695

Re: Proper throttle and shifter installation sequence 1973 mercury 850

set the shifter slide bracket to neutral. The prop should spin freely in both directions when in neutral. Line up the end of the cable with the pin on the slide and adjust the cable so the barrel lines up and insert it then attach the shifter cable. Set the throttle arm to idle position and line up the cable end then adjust the barrel to fit into the cup as well then attach and secure it done!

Kmyers

Seaman

Is it in neutral When the slide is in the center of its travel. Or do I need to look for something else. There is quite a range that still let's the prop turn before it engages

M

Maxz695

Yes its in the center you will feel a springy tension between forwards and rev when it,s centered. You can do it in forwards if you choose but make sure both the shifter and the slide are in the foward most position. Then adjust the cable and barrel accordingly

Kmyers

Seaman

My slide did not want to stay center because of the spring tension whenever I touched it it would move so if I have shift lever at control box to full throttle and the slide at motor in full forward position I should be good? You have been a great help for all of us wannabes, thanks

M

Maxz695

Hey I have my share of troubles too lol. Just got towed in. Was running great after major reconstruction. Problem was I had the wrong rectifier on the engine and blew the switchbox. Came home replace both and it fired right up and the moron volt gauge with no numbers is at least within the green sector now. Yes you should be ok. to check it with the throttle in the forward position the prop should lock in one direction and click (Ratchet) in the other direction. Now shift to neitral and the prop should turn freely in both directions. Now for the real test. Shift to reverse and the prop should lock in both directions. you may have to turn the prop a bit to get the clutchdog engaged but then it should lock if any ratcheting is occuring the slide is not far enough back and the barrel must be readjusted until the prop locks both ways. Another issue with this is the bracket to the shifter lever on the shift shaft sometimes gets bent and a tweek of the bracket must be made to get the shift shaft to fully reach reverse. Good luck and let us know how things work out Also check the reverse lock engage sin revese if you don,t have trim tilt.

Kmyers

Seaman

Sorry maxz695 for the troubles you are having hopefully its not one of the real expensive ignition boxes. I just wanted to thank you again. And to fill you in on our progress. I ended up going back to your original statement of center of travel at the slide is perfect neutral so I shifted slide without shift cable to find full travel I marked cable stud at each end, then measured to the center of the two marks they were 3.5 inches apart. So I marked 1.75 in between and then measured from center of barrel lock to my center mark. That was 7 inches, I then adjusted cable 7 inches from center of barrel to center of yoke. I installed throttle cable just making sure it was neutral and idle position. I hope this should work, when I work the control lever forward just before throttle cable moves prop turns in one direction only and neutral freely turns both and in reverse just before throttle starts moving prop is fully locked. I know this was a little long but let my know what you think. Maybe this will help others unless I have it all wrong. Thanks again

M

Maxz695

From your description it sounds like you have it licked. If you have any issues you can write here on the forums and I or someone eles will be glad to help.PM if nessecary no problem. Not to worry like I said I had spare parts for mine and hope to get it back in the water today. I think i,ll be bringing my fishing pole this time as I am pretty sure I have my issues licked as well.