Hello! Dp-d1 X dimension/template questions

Diver!

Cadet
Hi everyone, thanks for having a forum like this!

I am re doing my transom/ converting from a twin outdrive boat to a single outdrive boat. The single models of this boat out perform my twins in fuel etc. I'm reusing one drive and one engine and will reprop as needed.

Specs: 1992 740B with Dp-d1 ratio 1:78:1 and 1992 740B with Dp-C1 ratio 1:95:1

I don't know why they are mismatched. In any event, I plan on reusing using the d1with a freshened up 330hp 454.

Question:
I'D like to purchase the installation manual with template and X dimensions. I have the workshop manuals.

I know I can make a template from one of the current cutouts, but still need X dimension info etc!

Thanks for reading!

Andrew

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Hello! Dp-d1 X dimension/template questions

You can order the full size paper drawings from any Volvo dealer for about 5 bux or less, makes the job very easy. but here is the templace for that cutout, just not full size.

View attachment DP-D and E Transom cutout template.pdf

PS: don't worry about the callout for DP E and G, it's the same exact cutout and dimensions as used on the earlier 290's through the DP-E

Diver!

Cadet

Wow, thank you so much!

Would you happen to have a link to the 740b etc stringer height diagram? Thanks for your help already!

Don S

No, there isn't really any such thing. Boat designers had access to the engine and drive drawings and made their boats fit the engine and drive.
What I have always done on repowers is get the transom cutout and the transom shield installed. Then set the engine in and and bolted in at the transom while still hanging on the hoist. Then after getting the engine aligned to the 3 marks on the flywheel cover and transom shield, I would measure, make marks, jigs or whatever I thought was necessary for the fiberglass guy to build the stringers and motor mount pads to the proper heights. You can measure from Center Line to centerline of your engine mounts to know where the stringers need to be side to side from the center of the boat.

Diver!

Cadet

Oh thanks.

Also, I googled volvo penta 740 images and got lucky, there is a drawing with engine mounts in relation to x dim!

Diver!

Cadet

Say, Don, you are very knowledgeable about these!

Would you know the thread size of the top fill plug on the outdrives? I'd like to get a lifting hook screwed in there for removal with a hoist. Again, thanks.

Don S

The thread is 3/8-16 for the dipstick threads.

If the drawing you got is the one below, it won't help. Since you don't know the angle of the transom or the V angle of the hull, there is no way to put the dimensions to use.

http://www.bootsmotoren.de/vpdateien/Volvo-Penta-740A-DP.jpg

Diver!

Cadet

Hello again!

I've been to heck and back trying to order this paper template. Does anyone*have a online order link or a part number? Very frustrating so far to get this full size paper template!

Thanks!

Diver!

Cadet

Is that the part number?

Thanks!

Diver!

Cadet

Thanks again! I'll post my results for future searches!

Diver!

Cadet

Update:

This template is impossible to buy.

Don S

Have you checked with an actual Volvo dealer, or just looking online.

Diver!

Cadet

Yes, local dealers won't call me back on this part. Should have lied and said I was looking for new engine not $3 part.

Online places... No luck. One place, not a official volvo dealer is looking though.

Diver!

Cadet

Update :

Walked into local volvo penta dealer. Part is NOT available from volvo anymore.

Don S

Then take the pdf file I linked you to, and find a place with a printer that can print it full size for you. Or, you can print it out full size on your own printer and piece it all together. There are dimensions on the drawing, just be sure you have them all positioned accurately.

If worse comes to worse, have your local Volvo dealer use the metal template, drill the holes, and scribe the cutout area and you can cut it out yourself.

Diver!

Cadet

Thanks Don, already working on a custom print. I'll make it full size in autocad an save it as a dxf file so others can send the file to kinkos.

The 2 local dealers do not own the metal jig. I tried to rent them.

Don S

Kinko's can do .pdf, or at least they should. It's a common format and the file is from Volvo.

Radon17

Seaman

Hi Don, just verifying, I have a new to me 290 DP-A transom assembly that I'm installing. Impossible to find the same poster from any VP, dealer. I will verify before I cut the transom but wanted to ask you, this template should work for the 290 DP-A? Thanks!

Don S

Yes, same thing.