towing capacity

circle hook

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was wondering if my dodge durango with a 5.2L in 4 wheel low if i could pull a 40foot boat trailer with a 30 foot Bertram with twin dieseles not far just from the ramp to the parking lot next door at less than 1-2 mph and not on the road I am guessing its about 15,000 lbs but all flat ground and very slow. or even if i put an extra spring or 2 in does anyone think its do able Thanks Bob

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
Re: towing capacity

i wouldn't too heavy, if you do be sure to have someone making video just in case

tpenfield

Staff member

Yes, a video would be good . . . unless someone has tried something similar, I'm not sure anyone would really know for sure. 4WD Low would be an advantage . . . traction on the ramp would be the key success factor.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Keep in mind that unless the 4WD system has a center differential short turns in 4-Low (or 4-Hi for that mater) is putting a lot of stress on drive shafts, drive axles and steering components. If you don't understand what system you have, at least know this: Without a center differential all four wheels are locked together. Nice you say! But since all four wheels track around a curve at different speeds when unlocked, that can't happen in 4-low and something has to "give". If it is a gravel lot then the tires can skid. If it is a concrete or blacktop area be very careful. This is not an issue going straight ahead. Here's a better plan. If you have to pull the boat up a ramp, then 4-Low is fine since you are pulling out straight. Once out and you have to make turns, there is a good chance plain old 2-wd will be adequate for the short journey.

circle hook

Petty Officer 1st Class

yea i think the power will be there and with the boat sitting 10 feet back from the front of the trailer, sitting on the tri axles i am just worried about pulling a spring out or blowing a u joint or something weared like that. i mean less than walking speed and pulling it less than 1/8 of a mile. still i know i am pushing the limmits but wondering if she is do able. and only once a year spring & fall. thanks bob

circle hook

Petty Officer 1st Class

I under stand the consept of the 4 wheel drive thats how i test its working in a tight circle you can feel that front tire wanting to jump out of the wheel well, and """" Great Idea of switching back to 2 Wheel """"" after pulling out of the ramp. I have a paved parking lot at the ramp and the i have to pull it next door but that lot is gravel. these ideas all are a great help I am trying to save, on having a hauler to take a boat only next door and for less than 1/2 hour labor would cost hundreds. when i can do it my self.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

power shouldn't be an issue, the tow vehicle being less than half the weight of the load might be. if that 15,000 pound load wants to go back down the ramp it might drag that little 6,000 pound truck with it

NYBo

Admiral

Keep in mind that unless the 4WD system has a center differential short turns in 4-Low (or 4-Hi for that mater) is putting a lot of stress on drive shafts, drive axles and steering components.
It has a center diff, but only in F/T mode (which has the same transfer case gearing as 4WD high).

circle hook

Petty Officer 1st Class

at high tide and the extra long trailer, the truck will be all the way up in the parking lot on dry pavement thats why i bought a 40 foot trailer and only putting a 28 foot boat on her, and the boat should just about float most of the way on and an electric winch and a pully getting her up should not be a problem just the towing is scarry. but what is F/T mode

circle hook

Petty Officer 1st Class

with all the weight to the back of the trailer shouldnt that take quite a bit of tounge weight off and that just leaves the pulling weight

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

According to the new dodge commercial it will tow a space shuttle at 29,000

circle hook

Petty Officer 1st Class

yea right go for that, and i am thinking that i am not suporting all the weight because of the long trailer & short boat with the tri axle. i am banking the problem is going to be starting from a dead start to get moving and the big but is that how fast do you need to go next door & stop again

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

According to the new dodge commercial it will tow a space shuttle at 29,000

That's the Toyota Tundra. ;)

What the OP is proposing could work if there isn't much of an incline. I wouldn't believe an old Ford Taurus would pull a 24' bowrider up the ramp in the kentucky hills if I hadn't seen it. The trick will be balancing the boat on the oversize trailer so that he has a few hundred pounds on the toungue.

circle hook

Petty Officer 1st Class

yea my plans are to remove the first cross member being that with torsion bars they act as a crossmember and i will still have 6 others then between the bunkers the drive shafts can slide foward more giving some more tounge weight with tri axles i am hoping there should not be too much teter toting they should support most of the weight i hope. its an alumium I beam trailer so thats 1/2 that of a steel trailer & no steel leaf springs either some more weight lost. i think my big problem is going to move the trailer without ripping the truck in 1/2

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think you're going to hang up on the ramp 'break' before you ever get to the water. Just sayin ... :gossip:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

ok ok like i said it wasn't a dodge snickers :D:D:lol: it aint the first one I have ever made and wont be the last.