Changed Outdrive oil added Prolong

palace

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here we go guys, last year replaced outdrive oil with Mobil 1 full Syn. 75-90. Let her drain all night, oil was black as night and smells and very light fuzzy hair filings on drain plug. This morning pumped her slowly (in the middle fill plug) with QuickSilver Premium gear lube, walmart Syn-blend and add Pro-Long gear oil additive. I am a big Pro Long fan. Added it to last years (engine) oil change and checked oil the other day is dark to medium brown. I think I will have less clunck going into gear with the Prolong and less gear dust/filings. Planing on going out this Sunday for a test.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Changed Outdrive oil added Prolong

Ayuh,.... Good luck with it,... I run Mobil 1, in All of mine....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

All you really need, is the Merc Hi Performance gear oil...what makes it not clunk, is getting the idle as low as you can and still have it smooth...and making sure the ESA and shift linkage work....

palace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Lou, I have my shift linkage set with OMC tools per service manual and I know my ESA works because when I have idle set to low I stall. Lowest I can idle is around 700- 800 RPM's. I can idle around 600 (per specs) but put her in gear (in the water) ...straight out.
All you really need, is the Merc Hi Performance gear oil...what makes it not clunk, is getting the idle as low as you can and still have it smooth...and making sure the ESA and shift linkage work....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You do realize that the ESA is only used for coming out of gear right?

palace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No, I thought it was for going in. That is what I read on I boats. They iboats, say it drops RPMs quickly to go into gear to minimize gear damage/ grind. I will make a point to read my service manual. So let me ask this is it better to be swift and firm or slow and gentle/light when going in and out of gear? TE=bruceb58;4070983]You do realize that the ESA is only used for coming out of gear right?[/QUOTE]

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Swift shift. A clunk is normal.

If the ESA is activating on the way into gear, you have a binding issue with your lower shift cable. The reason you need the ESA for shifting out of gear is that the dog clutch has undercut gears that are meshed. They are held tight with the force of the prop in the water and the engine needs to be stumbled to allow you to unmesh these gears.

Going into gear is no issue at all. Neither is shifting out of gear when you are out of water. The ESA should not activate in either of these cases.

They iboats, say it drops RPMs quickly to go into gear to minimize gear damage/ grind.
Who is "they iboats"?

palace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bruce if doesn't hurt then it must be good. Question is how much good? That's like putting stabil in your gas and your engine fires right up. Could possibly mean that you have a greater ratio of good fuel than water. That suit was over 13 years ago. Thanks for the input.

Personally, I wouldn't be putting snake oil in my engine or stern drive.
Prolong Super Lubricants, Inc.

palace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

UPDATE:

Tightened my drain plug nice tight and have small slow leak from the plug. Yes new gasket (fiber), screw was threaded by hand and went in smoothly and used super large screw driver. I also ordered new magnetic drain plug that has allen head. Has anyone replaced there's with one of these?plug.jpg

Reinell-BRXL-191

Petty Officer 1st Class

Gasket should be nylon - fiber washer is going to stretch and split when tightened down...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

1. Not sure I trust a test done by someone advertising their own product.
2. Where do you see Mobil 1 mentioned at all?
3. What does this have anything to do with gear oil, the test is with motor oil?

As long as its GL-5 rated gear oil, its probably fine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gear_oil

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

This morning pumped her slowly (in the middle fill plug) with QuickSilver Premium gear lube, walmart Syn-blend and add Pro-Long gear oil additive.
Just noticed this. Did you actually mix Quicksilver lube and walmart lube? Why would you do this?

MRS

Commander

He probably bought QuickSilver Premium gear lube at walmart and then added the additive.
I think if you just use the QuickSilver Premium gear lube and change every season you should be good to go.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Lou, I have my shift linkage set with OMC tools per service manual and I know my ESA works because when I have idle set to low I stall. Lowest I can idle is around 700- 800 RPM's. I can idle around 600 (per specs) but put her in gear (in the water) ...straight out.

You should be able to get it lower than that, I can get mine to idle in gear in the water at 550 or so, out of gear its about 600, sometimes you have to do a careful tune up on these older boats including setting the idle mixture to get them to idle smooth and low.
And yes as the other posters said, you should not have the ESA engaging when shifting into gear, only when shifting out of gear, because it senses resistance on the transom shift cable caused by the dog clutch holding the gear you are in engaged. If you watch vids of how a dog clutch drive shifts you can see that. Watch this:

Lower unit training video, cut-away display OMC Cobra ShipShapeTn.Com - YouTube

BTW I do use the newer style drain plugs, with the allen key, they are sold by BRP dealers and they use the same nylon washers. I usually replace them every time and they don't leak. Make sure there is no dirt on the seating surface in the drive or on the plug itself....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Would have been a good video if they had not done it next to a highway.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I know one thing. I would never ever ever ever add an additive to my Volvo Drive or any drive for that matter.