Trying to figure out if I need to replace my leaf springs and spindles- pictures!

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
Hi all, I removed my rims and tires. Replacing the bearings, races, seals. Can anyone tell me what I need to do about the leaf springs? I would think they need replacing, but like an opinion here. also what about the spindles? Happy to replace as well, but I am not sure how to do it, etrailers does not have a video. Thanks...
trailer 2.jpgtrailer 1.jpgtrailer 3.jpgtrailer 2.jpgtrailer 1.jpgtrailer 3.jpg

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Trying to figure out if I need to replace my leaf springs and spindles- pictures!

Sorry the pictures are up side down!

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Trying to figure out if I need to replace my leaf springs and spindles- pictures!

...I am not sure how to do it, etrailers does not have a video...

Spindles are commonly welded to the axle and the axle is replaced as an entire assemble.
If your spindles are replaceable; unbolt the old one and remount the new one.
Yours do not look replaceable.

Rusty leaf springs are not necessarily bad, cleaning off the rust and adding some paint will make them look nicer.

Both jobs are simple unbolt and replace items.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I would clean everything with a wire brush. Before you replace anything the rust needs to be removed and a careful inspection of the spindles for wear. It just looks to me like it was parked in the grass and neglected and could be salvageable

Mi duckdown

Commander

If I'm not mistaken, it looks like you also have the inside part of the inner bearing stuck on the spindle?

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks everyone- MI DuckDown, you are correct, I snapped the pics before I removed the inner bearing (or what was left of it!). I m going to clean it all up and just do the bearings in that case, unless I hear something else. Love to know the tell tale signs for when to replace leaf springs and spindles, if anyone has a tip...

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks everyone- MI DuckDown, you are correct, I snapped the pics before I removed the inner bearing (or what was left of it!). I m going to clean it all up and just do the bearings in that case, unless I hear something else. Love to know the tell tale signs for when to replace leaf springs and spindles, if anyone has a tip...

NYBo

Admiral

That brake mounting flange looks pretty ugly. Better check how deep that rust is.

Mi duckdown

Commander

If it was mine I price would check the price, for New. then go from there. Those backing plates,TO me are FUBAR. Somtimes it easier To write a check,and Less costly. .02

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer

If it was mine I price would check the price, for New. then go from there. Those backing plates,TO me are FUBAR. Somtimes it easier To write a check,and Less costly. .02

Thanks- price for new for the entire trailer ? Or just the axles? I looked online and it does not seem they sell the entire axle. Also, is it possible to replace the axles with the boat on the trailer? Thx.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Also, is it possible to replace the axles with the boat on the trailer? Thx.

Of course it is possible, Just remember to put some sturdy jack stands under it so it cannot move. Still safer to do empty/

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Uncle Willie! I am taking a steel brush to the rust this weekend and will evaluate from there.