61 Elgin (Sears) air cooled 2 horse

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer
My 61 Elgin air cooled runs great; only problem is the recoil unit. It's the type with the three metal balls. After a few pulls the balls or whatever seize the recoil and I have to open it up again. I know that there are older versions of this motor and I believe some had a simple rope pull (no recoil). Does anyone know if I can retro? I'd be glad to get rid of the recoil.

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 61 Elgin (Sears) air cooled 2 horse

I think I could make one, but it would look perty hillbilly! Pully, notch, 3 bolts an spacers, rope.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

They sieze the recoil?? You mean like lock it up? That would be unusual. However they were troublesome in the won't-engage matter. If it is locking up, I'd suggest looking for some reason that the tank may be off center, or too high/too low/bent. They are supposed to be dry. Grease will make them stick. I suppose a lawnmower shop could come up with a rope pulley if that's the way you want to go.

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, the unit locks up. I'll take another look at the mounting. Originally I did try to add some lube and as you suggested that was a bad move. I tried filing the edges of the recoil where the 'balls' reside to smooth out wear. Didn't do much as it seized after a few pulls. I'm not a fan of air cooled motors but I've become one as this and my Clinton and Eska run great. Nice (light) motors to take with you for a backup especially if you're dealing with tidal waters. Once again, I'll take a look at the line up but I got the motor from the original owner and I don't think he messed anything up or even played with it. Here goes!????????????????