fiberglass epoxy ideas

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer
Well I have been looking at how Tolman Skiffs: Boat Plans in Book Form
tolman wood/epoxy/fiberglass boats are built. And even though I am keeping my star craft for many more years, I think some of the boat building ideas with plywood/epoxy/fiberglass might fit in with some of your project.

Two projects I have in mind for my cheif is a new doghouse for my motor and custom below deck fish box.
Not sure if the project is going to be a 2013 or not, seriously thinking about the fish box so I can get the 100 quart igloo out of the cabin.
Thought others might like the info on the wood/epoxy/figerglass process. Might also build a hard cabin on the starcraft when the canvas top gives out.

Maybe build a 26' great alaskan in 5 or 10 yrs.

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer
Re: fiberglass epoxy ideas

Fiberglassing isn't that hard, it's just more, I guess exacting. Definitely more time consuming. But you probably get fewer imperfections. I just get too impatient, and it shows more too. For someone who takes their time lets everything dry, resands, buffs, etc, you can get a lot fewer imperfections. I learned to rebuild, and in some cases build fiberglass stuff back in the 70's with an old guy who wanted everything perfect, so I had to redo alot. Every bubble, ridge, little speck, that's why I don't like doing now. I still know people who do that, and try to keep things perfect. Scared to touch their own stuff. But I still put a couple coats of epoxy between my aluminum and paint primer to help seal things. Real simple to build a wooden dog house, and then seal it with epoxy, then paint, or cover with upholstery, it hides imperfections better.

elkhunter338

Fiberglassing isn't that hard, it's just more, I guess exacting. Definitely more time consuming. But you probably get fewer imperfections. I just get too impatient, and it shows more too. For someone who takes their time lets everything dry, resands, buffs, etc, you can get a lot fewer imperfections. I learned to rebuild, and in some cases build fiberglass stuff back in the 70's with an old guy who wanted everything perfect, so I had to redo alot. Every bubble, ridge, little speck, that's why I don't like doing now. I still know people who do that, and try to keep things perfect. Scared to touch their own stuff. But I still put a couple coats of epoxy between my aluminum and paint primer to help seal things. Real simple to build a wooden dog house, and then seal it with epoxy, then paint, or cover with upholstery, it hides imperfections better.

I am not for perfection when it comes to a fishing boat, its gonna get bloody, scratched up and scuffed up.
I am for utilization. An imperfection here or there is fine. It just looks like marine epoxy and fiberglass will make the wood last a life time.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

I've looked at the Alaskan myself. I think they're pretty neat. It doesn't look very hard either.

elkhunter338

I think I could be easily converted to a Great Alaskan build, but not until later on in life.
i measured my below floor fish box for the chieftain and it looks like I can build it to hold about 90 qt., so 90% of my current 100 qt igloo. 28" long is about the maximum length, but I rarely catch a fish over 30" so I think it will work. I will post some pictures of project when I get time to start it.

cutbait76

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I hate working with glass... stinks, itches, sanding sucks, reapply, sand some more, is expensive.. blah blah

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

I admit I haven't looked at the plans, but for just sealing plywood, or lumber, it doesn't have to be too perfect. And if done halfway correct should make the wood last a lot longer.

elkhunter338

well I am off and building, will post pictures next. Cut the floor out to fit a 20"x34"x9.5" fish box. Sides are 6.5" and taper to 9.5" to fit the v of the hull. Should be 88% the size of my big Igloo ice chest. I rarely ever fill the Igloo, only once in 8 years was the Igloo full.
Should be cool under the boat floor with ocean temps normally in 50 deg range, throw a bag of ice in and should be good for all daylong.

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

You're just building a fish cooler right? What I saw were plans for the whole darn boat. I've been thinking about taking out my deck and putting in a foot locker to hold fishing tackle and other gear.

elkhunter338

Just building the fish box, since epoxy is $100 for 1.5 gallons I am going to use a wood sealer I all ready have that works good. I want to make sure I like the fish box and it works well.
I might still tackle a boat in 5 or 6 years if I can't find a 25' Cheiftain in good shape and at a reasonable price.

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds better just the box. Using a good sealer that won't dry out, on a spendier piece of lumber. Sealing it to the bottom might be tough, or are you gonna make a wood bottom, then you won't have the cool water of the ocean or lake to keep the temp down. They used to make slat barrels water tight, so it is doable. Keep them wet and the wood will stay swollen, or use an oil preservative often. I'm getting curious.

fishrdan

Admiral

Are you going to put drainage in the box, so you can hose out all the fish goo at the end of a trip? Also, is the locker going to have a latch to keep it closed? Coming up on plane could cause the contents to shift and open the box if not latched closed.

I have a big 12x12x52 livewell I use as a fish locker, fill it with ice then pump in water to make an ice slurry. At the end of a trip the fish are nice and chilled. One thing I had to do was insulate it so the ice didn't burn up quick, 1" insulation all the way around including the lid and the lid gasketed to keep air from blowing in. Even in hot summer temps it will keep ice for a long time.

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

The flotation between the deck and boat bottom should work as insulation there. And
Should be cool under the boat floor with ocean temps normally in 50 deg range, throw a bag of ice in and should be good for all daylong.
. Not much shade on the ocean tho for keeping the top cool. Mountain lakes should work the same. You'd probably have to call it a live well tho and have it inspected all the time for invasive species. If I ever build my locker for fishing poles and tackle, if I have any room left, I might think about one. I have great faith in people from the Northwest to either do a great job, or completely mess it up (like me).