Approximately where is the water pump?s drain hole on a 1970 35HP Chrysler?

wickware

Lieutenant
Approximately where is the water pump?s drain hole on a 1970 35HP Chrysler? Noticing a post last week, I knew I probably d/n drop my engine completely as in the past (thinking we were going fishing again). With the motor on the transom saver and tilt of the boat I feel it should be OK after the extended freezing weather in the North Tx DFW area. I feel any water should have drained or evaporated from the summer?s heat since May, 2012. A quick ext check d/n show any signs of damage (bulging or cracks).

Attachments will show it was close to down and hopefully the drain hole is to the right of the shaft close to down.

Attachments

• Impeller's Vanes Direction & Plate's Positoin  2.JPG
    Impeller's Vanes Direction & Plate's Positoin 2.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Lights Added On Right 3 In. Higher.jpg
    Lights Added On Right 3 In. Higher.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 0

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Approximately where is the water pump?s drain hole on a 1970 35HP Chrysler?

You should be fine. Water should run out the bottom of the pump and back out the water inlet.

Any water in the powerhead and mid section should have drained out the exhaust snout.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The hole next to the shaft,is the water inlet and exit for the pump.
It(pump) will hold a small amount of water unless you turn the motor over after it's out of the water.
The head is self draining as long as it's hanging straight up and down.
Like Rosco says,the snout is where most of the water/exhaust comes out.
The hole in the mid-section is a relief port, not really an exhaust.

wickware

Lieutenant

Thanks! This is possibly the first w/o leaving it down and never started to clear water since 1984. I have bumped the starter to hear an instant fire and off many times before trips. It always hurt to think of a 75 -200 mi trip one-way to not fire.

The first full start, good water and idle test of the summer season has always been in the barrel. A Dry Fires (instant off) afterward if any time or concerns are present. I did not notice excess wear to the impeller when changed in 2009-2010 after checking it in 1984 (as in the attachment). Possibly 6-8 mid ? high trolling short trips vs WOT much contributed to the life in fresh water only.

It?s been a 10 yr stand-off between the Boat, Motor and Me as to who will Give Up First (since this was to be a starter Only that turned Winner in the 80s). LOL