audible alarm engine cranks wont start

Status
Not open for further replies.

rb959

Recruit
first time user please bear with me! 2002 8.1gi volvo penta.I turn the ignition on I hear the one beep, then crank engine I hear another alarm every 2 secs or so and engine wont fire. This is a new problem after replacing power steering pump.Any help would be appreciated thanks in advance

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: audible alarm engine cranks wont start

What is the full model number or serial number, year means nothing.

Does it have spark when you are cranking? Did you check to make sure all wiring is connected and nothing got knocked loose when you replaced the PS pump?

rb959

Recruit

What is the full model number or serial number, year means nothing.

Does it have spark when you are cranking? Did you check to make sure all wiring is connected and nothing got knocked loose when you replaced the PS pump?

serial number is 4012044802 I did check all wiring connections, I can hear fuel pump work when ignition is turned on,I have not had time or help to check spark yet.The audible alarm is from the engine and has 2 beeps 3sec pause 1 beep repeat.As for the model number should there be more than 8.1 gi?

Don S

As you can see in the image below. a 2002 boat could have a lot of different model numbers. Engine year and boat year are not always the same. It's just the way boats are.

Untitled1.jpg

But, the serial number says it all, you have an 8.1GI-A in production in 99 and 00.

Let me look for some info and I will post again later on this afternoon.

rb959

Recruit

As you can see in the image below. a 2002 boat could have a lot of different model numbers. Engine year and boat year are not always the same. It's just the way boats are.

View attachment 178221

But, the serial number says it all, you have an 8.1GI-A in production in 99 and 00.

Let me look for some info and I will post again later on this afternoon.

Thanks again

Don S

To start things off, do you have spark on each cylinder when you crank the engine. Have you checked the fuel filter contents to see if there was water in the system?

rb959

Recruit

It took a while but the weather cleared and got back down to the boat.The fuel pump is working and fuel is good.Could not find spark on any cylinder, checked cam sensor connection and crankshaft sensor connection, all good.Ignition fuses good.Im thinking ecm maybe? is there a test for that?

Don S

I doubt it's the ecm, and you should probably hope it's not, they are expensive. Besides, they seldom fail because you replaced the power steering pump.

Did you check the fuel pump pressure? Sound of the pump running only means you have power to the pump, not that there is any pressure.
have you hooked it up to a diagnostic computer to see if there are any codes set.

rb959

Recruit

having problems finding someone in my area with a mobile diagnostic.will have to work the phones a little more i guess. thanks again

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

MEFI-3 and Audio Warning
The MEFI-3 engine’s Audio Warning system will sound the alarm differently and it has more
items that will cause it to sound.
There is what is called a ‘soft’ and a ‘hard’ alarm.
1. Soft Alarm = Below 3000 rpm. Horn on for 1 second, off for 3 seconds, on for 1 second,
off for 3 seconds, etc.
2. Hard Alarm = Above 3000 rpm. Horn sounds all the time.
Audio alarm sounds for the same malfunctions as MEFI-1 and -2;
1. MCM - Low lube level in Gear Lube Bottle. [General 1] or MIE - High Transmission fluid
temperature [General 2].
2. MCM/MIE - Low engine oil pressure.
3. MCM/MIE - Too high engine coolant temperature.
Early production and service ECMs had the following items that will sound the
alarm;
1. MCM/MIE – Horn will sound if there is an active engine Diagnostic Trouble Code [DTC]
that is occurring while the engine is running. The horn will not sound a stored DTC.
Correcting the DTC malfunction will stop the horn.
2. MCM/MIE – Horn will sound if the battery voltage to the ECM is low, [less than 9v for at
least 5 seconds]. Using the throttle lever to increase engine rpm to get the alternator to
put out more voltage will correct most low voltage problems.
3. MCM/MIE – V6 and V8 305/350 cid engines only. Horn will sound if there is low fuel
pressure [for at least 5 seconds]. These engines have a fuel pressure sensor. The EFI
engines have the sensor in the throttle body unit and the MPI engines have the sensor
located in the port fuel rail toward the rear of the engine. Correcting the cause of the low
fuel pressure will stop the horn.
The ECM checksums listed below have these additional alarms turned ON in them.
NOTE: Later production and service replacement ECMs have these extra alarms
turned off. If the ECM checksum is different from the ones listed below, the extra
alarms in that ECM is turned OFF.
MCM 4.3L EFI: ECM never had these extra alarms turned on.
MCM 5.0L EFI: With D04B or D074 checksum.
MCM 5.7L EFI: With D7ED or D798 checksum.
MCM 350 MPI, MCM 350 MPI Horizon, MIE 350 MPI Ski, MIE 350 MPI Inboard or MIE 350
MPI Horizon Inboard: With E60D or EAED checksum.
MIE Black Scorpion: With BB98 or BB42 checksum.
MCM 7.4L MPI or MIE 7.4L MPI Inboard: With FE28.checksum.
MCM 454 MPI, MCM 454 MPI Horizon or MIE 454 MPI Horizon Inboard: With EBC4 checksum

You have probalby disconected a sensor it is all... Ok lower back midde side of the engine ... Knock sensor... look at that wire connector type and inspect all wirng going from the pump area up to the ecm..temp sensor there map sensor etc

Don S

Great copy and paste except for one minor problem, all that information you posted is for Mercruiser, and nothing about a Volvo Penta 8.1Gi-A.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

The ideal is for him to see how simple mefi is..and to start chasing down the engine's connection's and wiring (broken) there are not that many. The differnce between Merc and Volvo... there maybe some minute difference's but it is GM Delpi software not Merc or Volvo and that is good question i will find out...And will no longer cut and paste a Merc Volvo cross reference that make's good sense

Status
Not open for further replies.