Trophy repower. Minor hull repair, decal removal, and painting

Allwaters

Cadet
photo (6).jpg Hi all... headed to harborchandler in the morning to pick up a few things for my project. I was going to rely on the advice of the guys at the store as they seem to be quite knowledgable, but i thought I'd post on here aswell.
I just popped the old lovely evinrude ficht off the back of my boat and am putting a new yamaha on in a month or so. Now there are holes from the boats original motor that are plugged with bolts and sealant, i have removed the bolts and plan to repair these. I also feel i have to repair the recent motors mounting holes because the new yamaha will not have the same bolt configuration? I was wondering what would be the best product to repair these holes.. I was thinking a shortened woooden dowel glued in but leave enough room for an epoxy filler on both sides? I also some small dings in the bottom of the hull and some large scrapes in the gel coat on the one side would the same product work on these?

Now the plan after all the holes are repaired is to paint the hull and all the way up to the rubber bumber which surrounds the boat. I have to remove the decals for this to be done... is there any good products to remove these rather than sanding?

Last will be the painting. I was planning on going with a dark tophy green to just above the water line than white or cream for the top. The bottom has some antifouling that needs to be removed i have tried the pressure washer in a few spots with not much luck so it looks like i will be sanding the stuff off.... yay. Now my question for painting over the gelcoat is...Do i have to rough it up first? I know i have to wash it free of wax and other things. Is priming necessarry? what do you think of interlux paints?
Alot of questions... will post pics as it progresses

Allwaters

Cadet
Re: Trophy repower. Minor hull repair, decal removal, and painting

100 views and no advice?

a1964rn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello and welcome to iboats. The best repair for the holes is epoxy, minus the wooden dowels. When you drill your new holes, it's best to drill them 1/2" oversize, fill with thickened epoxy, then drill your holes to size. This assures watertight mounting holes. On my boat, I also used thickened epoxy to fill the scratches/gouges in my hull. You do need to sand the hull. The paint you use will dictate what other prep needed. I used the interlux VC epoxy bottom paint on my boat.
Interlux VC Performance Epoxy Boat Bottom Finish from Wholesale Marine

With the one gallon kit, you get one gallon of base, and one gallon of hardener which gives you two gallons, however, it only comes in white.
Laquer thinner will remove the adhesive from the decals.

Allwaters

Cadet

Thanks so much for the info. How much sanding is needed just enough to rough it up a little?. Does that type of paint require primer?.... Can you explain the reason for boring the holes larger in the hull is this only if the new mounting bolts are going close to the old ones?
'

a1964rn

Petty Officer 1st Class

When you redrill the holes, you are drilling through the epoxy. This protects and completely waterproofs the wood in your transom. This way, you never have to worry about any water getting to the wood in your transom at these points.
I believe the "How to apply" section for the paint calls for a light sanding with 80 grit.
How to Apply Interlux VC Performance Epoxy Application Data | Wholesale Marine Boating Blog – How To's, Videos, Boat Parts, Watersports, Boat Maintenance and More
You do not need to prime before painting with this paint.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

I'm probably wrong,......But I thought that outboards had a standardized spacing for the mounting holes???

You could maybe put on a jackplate that uses the same holes that are in the boat and mount the new motor to that avoiding any new holes in the hull,......And improving performance while your at it,...

Allwaters

Cadet

I was going to contact the shop about the mounting of a yamaha compared to the evinrude but they are off till monday for christmas break still! i will call when they are back. I do like the idea of the larger holes for the epoxy tho.. creating a epoxy break between the wood and the new bolts. So much to think about on my way to the store.

Allwaters

Cadet

Thanks! that is the exact type of epoxy i purchased

Allwaters

Cadet

so i am finally close to painting i had a couple more through hull scuppers to remove i took the cover off of them and thought why dont i just paint over them as they are all covered by a swim ladder and kicker motor anyway.. will interlux brightside stick to the plastic through hulls?

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Pictures man,..................We like pictures!!

Allwaters

Cadet

Pics to come. AS i finish painting i want to seal re seal the rubber bumper around the entire boat they used silicone before... i was just wondering what the difference is between marine silicone and ordinary high quality silicone?