pictures of durabak (or spray dyed/painted vinyl)

mwe-maxxowner

Master Chief Petty Officer
I'd like to see some pictures of some durabak coated floors. Trying to determine what color I would like.

Also looking into some spray products to renew some of my vinyl trim and seats. I'm reading it is possible to get some good results with these spray dyes or coatings. I would love to see some that have been done.

Friscoboater

Captain
Re: pictures of durabak (or spray dyed/painted vinyl)

Take a look at my 1981 glastron restoration in my sig. i did light grey in that boat, and a member here bought the boat from me and said it is holding up nice.

mwe-maxxowner

The picture I see of your (smooth) durabak looks white. Is it that light in color?

Are the best pictures in your videos? I scanned from page 40 to the end and found the one picture. If the light grey is that light I'll go with dark grey.

mwe-maxxowner

I will be peeling carpet up and putting the durabak down. Can I clean the adhesive as best I can, rub it down with acetone, and then xylene, and the durabak will stick? Or must I somehow get all the carpet adhesive off?

Bondo

Staff member

I will be peeling carpet up and putting the durabak down. Can I clean the adhesive as best I can, rub it down with acetone, and then xylene, and the durabak will stick? Or must I somehow get all the carpet adhesive off?

Ayuh,.... Sand it off,... Ya gotta sand the surface for durabark, just like as if yer paintin' it...

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Ayuh,.... Sand it off,... Ya gotta sand the surface for durabark, just like as if yer paintin' it...

Sanding/removing old carpet adhesive is always a party!:watermelon:

Your installed Durabak job will only look as good as the surface you apply it to, if your deck isn't flat and smooth before you apply it you won't be happy with the finished product.

mwe-maxxowner

I guessed as much :(. I was just hoping to hear something better. Is there a solvent to help take some of it off?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

You may want to try CitrusStrip paint remover, it doesn't have noxious fumes and isn't flammable so you can use it indoors.

Test it in an inconspicous spot first, I'm not sure if it'll affect your poly resin.

This stuff is pretty mild so you have to leave it on for a while, check it every 30 minutes until it has loosened the adhesive like you want.

Your decking will still require light sanding to remove any residue that's left behind, but it won't be anything like the heavy sanding required to remove all of the adhesive without a stripper.

CitrusStrip is available at Wal-mart and Home Depot in the paint department.

mwe-maxxowner

Awesome news! I work for a Walmart distribution center so I get 10% off there. Woo!

mwe-maxxowner

It seems when I was searching for info about durabak, I found a product almost like a rubber pad that was used for flooring. It wasn't nautolex, it was thicker than that. And seems like I remember it having grooves in it for water to run. I've been searching all morning and can't find it again. Any ideas on what it is I saw?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Maybe Sea Deck.

Judging by the price... they're very proud of it

Actually spelled SeaDek

mwe-maxxowner

Yeah that stuff is too expensive. I'll just put carpet back before I do that.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

I currently own Frisco's 1982 SX190 Glastron he rebuilt in 2010 with Durabark. It has held up great--comfy on bare feet--cool in direct 100F sunlight. The only issue is because of it's texture, is hard to clean. I have to scrub with commet & a brush to clean. I anchor the boat at a local sand bar most summer weekends and it stays dirty most of the time. it makes no sense to scrub it clean then hang at the sand bar the next day. The boat is tucked away for the winter but can send you photos of the dirty floor if you want.laboorday12-2.jpg

mwe-maxxowner

I would like to see! I'm also curious as to whether or not the gel coat is any more expensive than the durabak.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I would like to see! I'm also curious as to whether or not the gel coat is any more expensive than the durabak.

Go to the USComposites site and look in the polyester resin section, they have gel coat there.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Ayuh,.... I bought some of This stuff for a project deck, but it's undone at this point....

I like the Color selections available at both sites...

You going with the new fluorescent orange color Bondo?

Bondo

Staff member

You going with the new fluorescent orange color Bondo?

Aaaaah, Nope,... goin' with My Love, Deb's favorite color, Seafoam green/ Teal...