Yamaha Fuel/Water Separator

whistler66

Seaman
I have a Yamaha mini 10 fuel/water separator on my F-50 Yamaha. It's time to change the filter. I don't have a marina in my area and it's about an 1.5 to any decent sized dealer with significant stocking inventory. Naturally I want to stay with a good brand filter of the 10 micron size. There is a couple of small shops near launching ramps that carry some of the more popular marine supplies. They do carry some filter brands like Sierra, Mercury, etc. Many of these say they fit Yamaha. Are all Yamaha heads interchangeable thus if I found a filter that would fit a Yamaha in a 10 micron size I could assume it would fit application. Hope I didn't ramble too much but was trying to cover all the info in my post.

Capt Ken

Commander
Re: Yamaha Fuel/Water Separator

I know the mini does not use the standard filter head. Being I stock them, I've never had to look for a aftermarket one. OK, just crossed the number, Sierra 18-7865

robert graham

Admiral

You can order the Yamaha or Sierra replacement filters...but "it's time to change the filter" raises a question. I've run the Attwood/Walmart fuel /water separator for several years now, and occasionally I unscrew it and dump it in a clean container to check for water or debris. Finally I decided to just go ahead and replace it after about 3 years...hack-sawed the old one just to see what was in it and the paper element looked mostly like brand new. Sooo, depending on how much you run, the quality of your fuel, condition of your fuel tank and delivery system, maybe your cartridge is still usable? I do carry a fresh new cartridge in the boat just to be safe. Good Luck!;)

Pas Bon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can order the Yamaha or Sierra replacement filters...but "it's time to change the filter" raises a question. I've run the Attwood/Walmart fuel /water separator for several years now, and occasionally I unscrew it and dump it in a clean container to check for water or debris. Finally I decided to just go ahead and replace it after about 3 years...hack-sawed the old one just to see what was in it and the paper element looked mostly like brand new. Sooo, depending on how much you run, the quality of your fuel, condition of your fuel tank and delivery system, maybe your cartridge is still usable? I do carry a fresh new cartridge in the boat just to be safe. Good Luck!;)

Same thing here...dump it...and if all is good screw it back on!

Capt Ken

Commander

WRONG! The element material breaks down over time and needs to be replaced. The element absorbs water from the fuel and holds it in the material so there can be water in the element and you would never see it. If you do pour water out, that means it has absorbed as much as it can and can't hold anymore. A new fuel filter beats cleaning the fuel system any day.
It's called penny wise and pound foolish.

whistler66

Seaman

I know the mini does not use the standard filter head. Being I stock them, I've never had to look for a aftermarket one. OK, just crossed the number, Sierra 18-7865

Thanks for the number of the Sierra filter. Being the mini filter head is different are you saying a standard 10 micron Yamaha filter would not interchange. I have plenty of room in the mounting location if length is the only difference.
To the other responders this is the first change of that filter so I think I'll replace it........but I'll take a look see inside that thing just to satisfy myself.....Thanks!

robert graham

Admiral

Thanks for the number of the Sierra filter. Being the mini filter head is different are you saying a standard 10 micron Yamaha filter would not interchange. I have plenty of room in the mounting location if length is the only difference.
To the other responders this is the first change of that filter so I think I'll replace it........but I'll take a look see inside that thing just to satisfy myself.....Thanks!
Well, like I say, it all depends on your motor, application, fuel system....but when I hacksawed my old filter and cut the pleated paper element out and laid it on the workbench, there just wasn't much of anything there. I run a 12 gallon red polyethylene tank, above deck, so it's easy to check for water or debris. Old, larger capacity below deck built in tanks are a different story. Good Luck!;)

WRONG! The element material breaks down over time and needs to be replaced. The element absorbs water from the fuel and holds it in the material so there can be water in the element and you would never see it. If you do pour water out, that means it has absorbed as much as it can and can't hold anymore. A new fuel filter beats cleaning the fuel system any day.
It's called penny wise and pound foolish.

Capt Ken if that's the case then why do Racor and other filters have a see through bowl so you can drain off any accumulated water ? I've had to drain off water in the sight bowl on filters with very low hours so I know there's no way the filter element was saturated with water and couldn't hold any more.

???

Capt Ken

Commander

Racor uses the spin method and not the absorbing element. Two different methods. I spoke of the standard spin on filter. If you use ethanol, the racor will not separate the water from the fuel but then neither will the others.

whistler66

Seaman

Well, like I say, it all depends on your motor, application, fuel system....but when I hacksawed my old filter and cut the pleated paper element out and laid it on the workbench, there just wasn't much of anything there. I run a 12 gallon red polyethylene tank, above deck, so it's easy to check for water or debris. Old, larger capacity below deck built in tanks are a different story. Good Luck!;)

I also use the red poly tank. Although my boat sits out. I take the take inside when not in use and add one of the fuel additives. Don't know that the additives do any good but I guess it makes me feel a little better and I don't think they hurt anything? Just trying to protect it the best I can.

whistler66

Seaman

.....................If you use ethanol, the racor will not separate the water from the fuel but then neither will the others.

Hmmm! Capt Ken, I was hoping that a filter would help some with ethanol/water issue? I guess after the phasing starts the fuel is saturated (probably not the right word) to the point it is as one so to speak and the filter allow it through?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You NEVER want to empty a filter to check the contents, then reuse it. The chances are very high (like 100%) that in the process you will transfer any contamination to the clean side, and may not even see it happen.
Yes, empty a filter and look at the contents so you know what's going on, but throw it away and install a new filter.

If you can't afford a new fuel filter element once a year, then you shouldn't be boating.

KJINTF

Seaman Apprentice

Don

Well said - not sure if it could have been done better
Take a look see and toss the old stuff away

Racor uses the spin method and not the absorbing element. Two different methods. I spoke of the standard spin on filter. If you use ethanol, the racor will not separate the water from the fuel but then neither will the others.

Huh ? What's the "spin" method ? The Racor and other filters are fuel filters/water seperators. The water is seperated from the fuel and collects in the bottom of the filter bowl where it can be drained off accordingly.

Capt Ken

Commander

Being water is heavier than fuel, the original concept of Racor was to rotate the fuel around the canister causing the heavier water to separate faster. But with ethanol fuel, it just mixes with the alcohol and flows right through with the fuel. That is until you get too much water then the water and alcohol just falls to the bottom of the tank, gets sucked into the engine and it stops