28 HP Johnson - Removed Flywheel - What happened to these wires?

big_chief

Seaman
My motor stopped working last month... (Johnson 28 HP SPL, 1996) while I was on the water. I got out there, but it would not fire to get back... turned over, but no spark.

I removed the flywheel this afternoon and I found wire scraps and broken wires everywhere. How would this happen?

What is my next step based on the pictures... I'm not sure if I can buy parts or if I need a whole assembly?

Also, I noticed (2) things out of place. On the underside of the flywheel with the magnets was a metal clip sticking to it, but I dont know where it came from. Its the pictures of my fingers holding it. AND I noticed some black "tar" looking stuff on one side of the assembly... is that normal?

Hopefully these pics help. I used a screwdriver to point out.

IMG_2256a.jpgIMG_2252a.jpgIMG_2253a.jpgIMG_2254a.jpgIMG_2255a.jpg

Thanks,

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: 28 HP Johnson - Removed Flywheel - What happened to these wires?

Looks like the stator melted. They do that when shorted, so check the rectifier to see if it is fried.
All parts ignition parts are still available.

big_chief

Seaman
Re: 28 HP Johnson - Removed Flywheel - What happened to these wires?

Correct me if I am wrong... Is the rectifier and regular one part? Is this the small device on the side of the block, that resembles a stack of quarters?

What are the (2) other devices under the flywheel? The stator assembly are the (2) copper coils packs... what is the brown box and the black box? The tar looking substance is near the black box... but from what I read, the tar substance usually melts off the stator assembly? Did it just drip to the other side by the black box?

Sorry for all the questions. I know the obvious problem is my stator is blown. I'm just trying to see if anything else might be blown and why this might have happened in the first place.

Last question... If I just replace the stator, could I run the risk that the next runs blows again based off other bad parts?

Thanks for the insights.