55# electrict trolling motor, bow mount with 7.5 hp gass pusher on a 10ft alluminum

burtonwf

Cadet
I have a 10ft alluminum "V" hull boat. I am looking at getting a 55# bow mount trolling motor.
(1) What kind of speed can I expect out of the trolling motor with two people and fishing gear?
(2) If I put a 7.5 hp gass outboard pusher on the boat what kind of performance can I expect from the two motors in a strong river current or strong wind?
(3) Is it even a good idea to try to boost power using the two motors in a strong river current or a strong wind?

kfa4303

Banned
Re: 55# electrict trolling motor, bow mount with 7.5 hp gass pusher on a 10ft allumin

Hi burton. A 55# trolling motor is pretty powerful, especially on a little 10' boat. If you mount it on the bow, it will probably pull the boat along at 4-5 mph at max speed. Mounting a 7.5 hp outboard on the back, will push you along at over 10mph, perhaps as much as 15mph with a light load. Using both on the boat isn't a bad idea as long as you take the time to balance the weight properly. Of course you should only use one motor at a time, and having another person with you will make quite a bit of difference on such a small boat, so don't be surprised if the performance changes as a result. Check out youtube for vids of folks running 7.5hp motors to get an idea of what you can expect. I would recommend a vintage, 2-stroke Johnson/Evinrude for their light weight, reliability, ease of maintenance and power.

NYBo

Admiral
Re: 55# electrict trolling motor, bow mount with 7.5 hp gass pusher on a 10ft allumin

Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

A 55#-thrust trolling motor is a bit of overkill. Greater thrust does NOT necessary mean greater speed- they are propped to give 3-5 MPH at full power, regardless of thrust. On such a small, light boat, a smaller motor would probably reach the same speed, and run longer at full power than the 55#.

Kfa is correct; you would NOT run both motors at the same time.

What is the maximum HP rating of the boat? Many that size max out at 5 HP; 7.5 is a big jump, and could cause problems.