Upgrade Sound System Advice

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer
Happy New Year everyone!

Well for the New Year I am looking to upgrade my 2005 Clarion with remote because I would like iPod and MP3 capabilities.

I just purchased a new Sony CDX-H910UI with the RMX60 wired remote for the helm. I am looking at upgrading my Clarion speakers 6.5" speakers with JL audio's in the cockpit area.

I would like to add a small "class D" amp - I am looking a JL Audio's M400/4 which is rated at RMS 75w @ 4ohms = 4 speakers. I don't need a booming system, just something clean and clear. If you have a better idea for an amp, let me know. I just would like more than 17w RMS that that the Sony has. Draw is a concern because I will be sitting at an island for a few hours and I would like to get back home.

I have a few questions;

Has anyone had experience with JL audio's 7.7" speakers vs. the 6.5"? I am looking at the "M" series. Is the sound quality that noticeable? 6.5" would be the easiest choice for a swap out.

What concerns me is the AMP and battery draw. I have a dual battery setup with a Perko selector switch for 1,2 or both.
Would that amp suck the battery dry? Here's the spec;
M400/4 - Marine Audio - Amplifiers - M-Series - JL Audio

Also, space, like most people with boats is a concern. I was thinking of mounting the amp either inside a cabinet or on top of the shelf above the receiver - this is a stock photo of my cabin with the receiver in the shelf and the cabinet below the sink. If I put the amp on the shelf above the receiver, will I get interference?
SeaRay225WE-galley.jpg

Last but not least - cabling up the amp. Do I really need 4 awg wire for power? I would guess it is about 12' from the battery to the cabin area. Do I install the amp's + and ground directly to the battery terminals?

Any help or recommendation would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ollie

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Upgrade Sound System Advice

How about an easier question?

Anyone ever install a small amp for there receiver to power some coaxials (no sub)? Looking for pointers, pitfalls etc.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I didn't see a current draw number but the fact that they recommend a 50 amp breaker says max power draw is something less than that. So lets assume 40 - 45 amps is the typical max draw. To determine how long you could operate the system on the "House" battery we need to know what size/capacity that battery is. The house battery should always be a deep cycle. If it is a group size 27 it would likely have a "Reserve Capacity" number of about 175 minutes at a 23 (or 25) amp draw. What that means is if you operate the stereo at a level that is pulling 40 amps from the battery (nearly twice the battery spec) you would be able to run the system for about 90 minutes and the battery would fall out of its spec. If you have a smaller battery the time is reduced from this example With the larger battery time would be extended a bit. Since you have a dual battery switch, why are you concerned about not getting back to the dock. You set the switch to the house battery which protects the start battery. When ready to leave set the switch to BAT 1 and go. Don't let this switch drive you nuts. Use it to your advantage. When the engine is running set the switch to whatever battery needs the most juice. Keep in mind a house battery that is deeply discharged will not be fully charged in a 30 minute run back to the dock.

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the information. So what I got from your post, battery drain equates to how hard I push the amp? If I keep it at a reasonable volume (subjective I know), similar to the stock receiver watt's, battery life would be extended?

What I want is clarity and not necessarily loudness. When currently underway, the stock Clarion sounds like garbage when I try to get to a volume that you a clearly hear. Docked, it's fine. Underway is when the volume would be turned up the most. Docked or anchored, for the most part will only be loud enough for the immediate area. I don't need to share my good times with others who may be having a rotten day:lol:

In regards to the switch, I guess my concern is "Big Water" and "Me". I frequent Lake Superior and don't want to be stranded by my own stupidity for not switching batts. However, if I'm going to do it, I better smarten up.