yukon Delta re-invention from the hull up.

Tugcaptain

Recruit
I have a 32' yukon delta that I have stripped to the hull, and a Cummins 4bta, with a borg warner 72c clutch. So far I have replaced the transom, and starting on a new stringer design to adopt the Cummins/clutch. Atter the stringers are installed, i am going to install the rudder and packing assy for it, then the shaft strut/cutlass bearing assy, and thru hull shaft log packing assy., and install the shaft. I am by no means a hydraulic engineer. I have access to several shaft logs, and struts of different angles of degree, and I'll be using a 17" prop to make up for the 1/1 ratio of the clutch and slow engine speed. My question is how much angle is too much. I want to swing as big a wheel as possible, with a 1" shaft.

GWPSR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: yukon Delta re-invention from the hull up.

Pictures, or it didn't happen :)

I have no knowledge that would be of any use in your questions, but boy oh boy, that sounds like one I wanna watch!

Tugcaptain

Recruit
Re: yukon Delta re-invention from the hull up.

You may want to ask a mod to move this question to the propeller question and topics forum:

Prop Questions and Topics

I met a real life hydraulic design engineer, at GEO shipyard yesterday while spotting a 160' supply boat alongside the dock. I explained my plans to re-power/re-design my hull. He gave me a print out from a design program, using my hull dimensions, engine and clutch dimensions, shaft length, and prop size. A stroke of luck indeed. He gave me a 9 degree, prop shaft strut, from an old 32' Marinette, that has two support struts to attach it to the hull. Great guy to have met by chance! Next time I'm passing by his camp in Redfish Point, I'm going to wheelwash his slip for him. I can't wait to get off the boat this week to get back to my project. Hopefully, problem solved. I'm going to post pics of my re-build starting next week. Tugcaptainchris