1993 Evinrude 60 HP VRO....??

dbear1959

Seaman Apprentice
Looking at a Spectrum with a 1993 60 HP Evinrude VRO the engine looks real nice and clean, but looks can be deceiving so I'm for some feedback, the good bad, and ugly. Any known issues? Are these typically known as a good engine? I know there was a period of time when these were made by OMC ...any feedback on that?

Does anyone know what the compression specs are for this engine? If compression is within 15% should I be good?

Should this engine be decent on fuel consumption? Any thing else I should be looking at? If I but it I'm taking a certain risk because I can't lake test it up here in the north in December, so any input would be welcomed. thanks
Dan

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1993 Evinrude 60 HP VRO....??

That was a very good outboard in 1993. How good it is now depends on what has happened to it in the last 20 years.

phillnjack2

Ensign
Re: 1993 Evinrude 60 HP VRO....??

well ive got a 1995 eveinrude 60hp.
Only had it since april 2012.
the engine i would say is far more noisy than a mercury 60 but more powerfull.
Weight wise its heavier than the merc,but its thinner in width when looking backwards to the engine.
I have had a few problems with mine but it now seems to have been sorted out at last.
I find new parts are harder to get than mercury and more expensive from agents in the uk.
The evinrudes are good strong engines,but if i had a choice from brand new and could have
either a merc or evinrude for free then i personally would go for the mercury.

But i would prefer the evinrude to a yamaha or honda or suzuki, evinrudes are far more
powerfull than a yamaha, and more reliable too.
The honda is a lot slower and is 4 stroke so not realy a fair comparison.
The evinrude has been around a long time and in the states their is tons of spares for them cheap.

But like said above, it realy all depends how the engine has been used or abused !!!!!!!!!!

phill