Help needed!!!

jasonorlando

Cadet
Ok, to stat off with what i have is a 1994 evinrude 140. model E140TLERR.
About 2 years ago, when i first purchased the boat and motor, the engine completely let go. I had it rebuilt, it seemed to never be right again. Through some crappy advise from West marine and several others this engine is about to go to the scrap yard.
Stated off with water pump issues, replaced that several times due to Sierra parts, which i will never use again...This has been resolved now.
Now onto the running issues,
The last time i had the boat on the water, it went to running like complete garbage. Upon inspection, it was only running on 1 cylinder. So through advise from others, i rebuilt all 4 carbs. Cleaned them out real well, put it back together, still runs like garbage. So today after not dealing with the boat i pulled it back apart again to examine the reeds. All the reeds seem to be fine, no chips cracks or gouges. But they are metal, not like the fiber reeds ai am used to dealing with. So now i am completely lost.

The local shop wants $1200 to even look at it. I feel this is way out of line.
In the process, all electronics have been replaced, after it sat for a couple months while i replaced the floor in the boat.
CDI, regulator etc.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help needed!!!

Is it still running on one cylinder??? What is compression??? What do you mean it seemed never to ran right? Motor has to have compression,spark and fuel to go and your missing one of these. Also did you pullheads to to check pistons installed correctly as one swapped or upside down will have running issues.

nwcove

Admiral

$1200 just to look at it????? that must be one long hard look!!! :faint2:

jasonorlando

Cadet

Is it still running on one cylinder??? What is compression??? What do you mean it seemed never to ran right? Motor has to have compression,spark and fuel to go and your missing one of these. Also did you pullheads to to check pistons installed correctly as one swapped or upside down will have running issues.
running on all 4 now but barely running.
compression is 140 on all 4 cylinders.
I have not pulled the heads yet, probably gonna have to be next on the list.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

have you tried a different fuel supply? like a known functioning outboard tank and line

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You might want to try a different shop also. If it takes $1200.00 worth of labor to find a prob, they aren't worth a damn !

jasonorlando

Cadet

have you tried a different fuel supply? like a known functioning outboard tank and line

No, I have not. How would i go about doing this? how would i pump from a tank to ?? please explain. While doing the floor last winter, i had the tank cleaned and preened. Didnt even consider this.

jasonorlando

Cadet

You might want to try a different shop also. If it takes $1200.00 worth of labor to find a prob, they aren't worth a damn !

According to the shop, they want to do a full service, then evaluate the problem.

nwcove

Admiral

According to the shop, they want to do a full service, then evaluate the problem.

not sure if that is common practice or not.......but jmo....its kinda like a garage wanting to tune up your car before they fix the flat tire.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Well spoken nwcove...............................