Merc.>>mariner>>force>>>what is the differance??

stormmnv

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have been told, stay away from force engines, mariner is a inferior merc. And 2 stroke older mercs. Are not worth buying???????

Comments please as i am looking to re-power in the 75 to 90hp range..

Force engnes are available and cheap compaired to merc's, even's and johnsons.
Mariner's are also available, more money than force, less than merc., for the same year / hp..

My poor 45hp. Merc. Is shot so a replacement used motor is due in 2013.

Happy new year to all and good boating in 2013...

Stormmn

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Merc.>>mariner>>force>>>what is the differance??

Stormmn, Merc and Mariner are identical, except for paint. Force is a Crysler powerhead and Merc gearcase. The Force motors are lower tech, and may be discontinued, which make parts scarce.

For the right price, a Force is fine. Other than that, stick with Merc/Mariner. Older Mercs shared a common design. They were good motors. The newer ones ar good as well/

mercurymang

Master Chief Petty Officer

I think what is often confused with poor quality is mistaken for poor maintenance. Alot of boat motors see almost no maintenance over their lifetime.

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

Mercury and Mariner are the same thing. Had to do with dealer network agreements. A Mercury dealer had exclusive territory rights. The Mariner brand allowed the same motor to be sold under a different branding. It is the same motor. Mercury stopped the practice in the late 90's.
Force motors are the old Chrysler top ends with Mercury lowers. They work fine most times but are 80's technology at best.

frankenmerc

Seaman

From what i understand Mercury wanted to control the recreational market with the Merc engines and change the paint and decals and few minor details on the Mariner to corner the commercial market .it was a stratagey they tried for a while but for the most part are the same engine.

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

From what i understand Mercury wanted to control the recreational market with the Merc engines and change the paint and decals and few minor details on the Mariner to corner the commercial market .it was a stratagey they tried for a while but for the most part are the same engine.

Not quite commercial...

20120825142540.jpg

frankenmerc

Seaman

154.jpg

My point to your question Is.
The change of the color and decal scheme was a business (strategy), all else is same as big Black Merc and for me own both and equally satisfied!