question on propane heat and epoxy

Streetgang

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am doing a resto on an alum boat and during these cold months want to epoxy coat the new wood decking and transom. I have no experience with epoxy but have lurked thru enough threads to know temp of room, the wood and the epoxy are important.

Somewhere I thought saw a reference to not doing this with certain types of room heaters. I have a propane radiant heater, the type that clamps on top of 20 lb bottle. Will be using it in a large 3 door garage.

Will this have any effect on the epoxy ? Specifically will the combustion exhaust hinder epoxy to do its job ?

I will also be using 2 halogen work lamps to keep work area warm.

Thank you.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: question on propane heat and epoxy

I don't think the combustion exhaust will hinder your epoxy setting or curing.

I do strongly suggest you use the USComposites 635 Fast cure with the 4:1 hardener when working in cooler temps:

Epoxy :*Epoxy Resins and Hardeners

Be sure to order the pumps with the resin for quick and easy measuring.

tinkerguy70

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'd be more concerned about the epoxy fumes being flammable more than anything else.
Just something to consider.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I'd be more concerned about the epoxy fumes being flammable more than anything else.

Epoxy resin fumes aren't flammable, polyester resin fumes however are extremely flammable.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Relatively speakin', epoxy is considerably less flammable than polyester resins...
Any resins, 'n thinners will burn, just some more handily than others,...
I think epoxy is the safest in than regard...

I'd be more concerned about the also relatively localized heating factor of the heaters bein' used,...

It'll work, but localized temps need to be monitored,...

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm no scientist, but I do know from experience that epoxy likes a dry surface and dry air to cure. So the problem you *MAY* have with using a propane heater is with humidity-- While you're burning propane, it's eating up the air in the room. The air is replaced by outside air finding its way in however, the water that's IN the air you're burning has no quick way out of an enclosed area, so the air in the room just gets wetter and wetter, and the dew point may rise to the point that if the boat is only a few degrees cooler than the air, condensation may form on the boat and/or the epoxy itself.

Just something to think about--

marauder11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Overhead Radiant Heater | Princess Auto might be better. I just used the link as an example. At the wholesaler i shop at they have one hanging on the wall 20 amp 120 volt and you can not stand under it for to long. Might work better for this work because the heat is absorbed into the objects not heating the air. Just my 2 cents.

a1964rn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't overthink it. Epoxy fumes aren't flammable and you can safely heat your shop with a propane heater. Use the halogen lamps to warm your project. The substrate temp needs to be between 55 and 90 degrees.

Streetgang

Petty Officer 1st Class

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the feedback. I appreciate your time and opinions. I now have a path.

Upon review I should have put this question into my resto thread.