Closed cooling system

ericcarr2000

Ensign
I will be purchasing a newer vessell in the near future. My question is this. I currently use a Mercruiser engine that utilizes a closed cooling system in it. Is there any way I could install a heat exchanger on a motor that uses the sea water to cool it?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Closed cooling system

Sure, there are aftermarket kits and OEM kits. If you are in fresh water, why? It's not recommended they be converted after 125 hours or 1 year of use.

ericcarr2000

Ensign

I guess the main reason is because of the ease of winterization.

Bondo

Staff member

I guess the main reason is because of the ease of winterization.

Ayuh,... Ya still gotta drain the raw water side...

Dependin' on which motor We're talkin' 'bout, a raw water motor is only a couple more drains to open...
Where can I purchase a kit?

Google San Jaun Engineering,... I don't think they have a website, but you can call 'em...

tpenfield

Staff member

I ordered and installed two 'kits' from SJE a couple of months ago. I went through Michigan Motorz to order them. The reseller will probably have you talk to 'Brad' at SJE to make sure you are ordering the right kits, as they don't do returns, etc. for incorrectly ordered kits.

Here is a link to my web page regarding the closed cooling system installation
Closed Cooling Systems

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Sure, there are aftermarket kits and OEM kits. If you are in fresh water, why? It's not recommended they be converted after 125 hours or 1 year of use.

Don, are the OEM kits considered a better quality then the after market ones? Do they typically last any longer or do any better of a job???