Hydrofoil for volvo 280

Sweet Irene

Recruit
Would like to know how to solve the problem of low speed steering. Is there a hydrofoil for the Volvo 280. I need to know if there is an aftermarket steering aid to make sure the boat tracts straight at low speeds. Any help would be appreciated.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Hydrofoil for volvo 280

If you are referring to the boat wondering left and right, that is completely normal for any IO, or outboard boat with a V hull. and No a hydrofoil will not help.
Trim tabs do help some, but it does not eliminate the problem.
Best thing to do is learn to not over correct. Small changes only
The boat is not hooked to the water like the tires of a car are attached to the road. Waves and wind will move the bow quite easily.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Ditto the above sage comments,... yer drivin' on Water, not blacktop,...

Let it wander abit, most usually she'll come back on her own...

Definitely, use less correction...

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

ALSO try this:
find an open stretch of water and get her going straight.... when it starts to wander left or right, DO NOT TOUCH THE WHEEL... not all but most v hull boats will only go so far before they come back and will repeat the right left wander but will be going overall straight... then make ONLY enough correction to get the AVERAGE course to be where you want to go.... Unless your boat is in the minority that will keep turning in one direction, you will likely find that all you need to do to "fix" it is stop trying to fight it and relax.... good luck and happy boating

If you need to keep her perfectly straight, try this: when you correct, do it as soon as she starts to turn but ONLY just enough to SLOW the turn instead of stopping it... likely she will drift only the slightest bit further and start to come back then just BEFORE she reaches dead ahead correct back so that she drifts just slightly the other way and gradually comes back......

A much wordier way to say the same thing as above.... don't over correct.... Regularly when I'm teaching someone to "drive" a boat at low speed. I'll grab the wheel and stop them from turning it while instructing them to "just wait for it to come back" the look on their face when they finally "get it" is always enjoyable.

I agree with all of the above comments, it will get better as you get to know the boat - but the wandering will always be there, and if you are navigating along narrow channels and waterways you may not have the luxury of letting her wander a bit (speaking from experience!). The constant correction can be very tiresome.
Research the benefits of installing tabs, such as Smart tabs. Users claim they really help minimize the wandering.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Smart Tabs do a good job as passive tabs, carefully adjusted they will improve handling and hole shot and stay on plane easier at reduced throttle.Apply the tabs with just enough pressure to assist handling.Too much will slow the boat and cause strange handling.
As far as the steering you need to pay close attention and correct just enough to stop the wander.Usually if you stop the wander
it will resume close to the proper heading.After awhile it will be second nature.

wongster1

Cadet

I have Smart Tabs on my boat, but it was for porpoising, not wandering. They have made the boat a world better to drive, better hole shot, ride in all waters, and only had to adjust them once after initial set up. Hope this is of some value.

llmoore1953

Cadet

Thanks for all the help. I had seen some hydrofoils on other outdrives and knew my 280 was different. Agreed I do need to be on the water more. thanks all for the speedy replies.

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I fitted a 'Darth Vader' foil on my 250. It does nothing for the steering.

IMAG0842.jpg

IMAG0840.jpg

The thing to remember is that the boat is not always pointing in the direction it's going. When you correct, the boat may change to the desired course, but the bow won't be pointing in that direction. The tendency is to continue correcting until the bow is pointing in the direction you want to go, but by then the boat is actually traveling in a direction beyond the desired course. The secret is to not use the bow as reference for the correct course, but rather look beyond the bow to shore, or the horizon to see what course the boat is actually making.

chriscraft254

Commander

I troll quite a bit, and can say with out a doubt that smart tabs helped the wander to almost none on my boat. Tremendous improvement.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Boat size? Trim tabs?
Refit with a Duo-Prop will help too.
Run with the tabs all the way down when going slow.

llmoore1953

Cadet

I wish to thank all of you who have helped with ideas on my posting. I hope to post some pics of it here for any comments. Thanks again.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

One other thing you want to make sure of. Make sure the outdrive is all the way down. That will help a little but like everyone else is saying just try not to over correct.