"bondo brand" mat and resin

Exotic4x4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Read on a post on here and replied tobit., got bad feedback saying to start my own thread ..wanted to glass in my transom but us composites are closed till after the new year meaning earliest I could get my things would be a few weeks..was wondering if the bondo brand mat and resin would be ok go put on my transom. I'm glueing it in with pl glue its 1 1/2 thick . Would like to get a leg up on the transom if I could and get it tabbed in

Friscoboater

Captain
Re: "bondo brand" mat and resin

I have used it and with terrible results. You never know how fast it will kick, and it is stupid expensive. Plus I think it is waxed, and you need non waxed for layups. If you use waxed, you will have to sand in between each coat so the next will stick. West marine has some decent non waxed resin if you have one close, but it is pretty high too. I would wait until US Composites opens.

Exotic4x4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the reply.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

The good thing is USC has great customer service and quick shipping so it won't be long after you order that you'll recieve your material.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

BTW - Bondo Auto body filler is poly resin mixed with Talc. Not suitable for marine use.

chriscraft254

Commander

Depends on the Bondo your buying, some is for marine use. I have used it with no ill effects and it does not have wax in it. Lay it up just like any other resin with fiberglass mat. It will be marked on the can if it is for marine use.

Personally I would wait for us composites to open back up and put in your order. It will save you money in the long run and you will be using all the same products.

SDSeville

Lieutenant

I used it on some seat boxes and a small area of the deck when I ran out of the stuff I got from the fiberglass supply shop. It seemed to work fine, but I don't think I would use it on my transom.