Merc 70 Crankshaft wear sleeve & seals

M

Maxz695

I just reciaved my New wear sleeve for the lower seals in the lower crankshaft end cap. The seals are brand new as well. After pressing the sleeve on yesterday I noticed that the sleeve has a vertical or horrizontal indented line that does not run the width of the entire sleeve. I am pretty sure that this is supposed to be there and allows the smallest amount of fuel oil past the inner seal to lube the second outter seal. Am I correct in this assumption? Also I would figure that the best lubricant to put on the seals would be 2 stroke oil. Is this also the best thing to use on them? I have other questions pertaining to cylinder sleeve removal (Tools and proccedures) Were talking limited accomidations to get this cylinder sleeve out without dammage. Also compatibility of two different horse powers being a 40 and a 70 both 1979. The only difference I can see is the 70 has a ported piston and the 40 HP does not therefore the 70 HP cylinder sleeve has a well port cut out and the 40 HP does not have this cut out. They use the same connecting rods and the same ring diameter. I believe thet both have the same stroke ratio as well. I have inserted the piston from the 70 into the 40 HP block cylinders with seemingly the same fit. I can post pictures of this later today.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Merc 70 Crankshaft wear sleeve & seals

I noticed that the sleeve has a vertical or horrizontal indented line that does not run the width of the entire sleeve. I am pretty sure that this is supposed to be there
Sleeve surface should be smooth all 360? some have a small groove up near bearing.
sleeve.jpg
I have other questions pertaining to cylinder sleeve removal (Tools and proccedures) Were talking limited accomidations to get this cylinder sleeve out without dammage
These sleeves are cast into block and non removable. When you re-sleeve a inline motor you bore the original sleeve out to accept the replacement sleeve which is usually a 1/16 or 1/8 thick sleeve. If the cylinder is bad it will be cheaper to find a good used block than resleeving, as I charge $325 to replace a sleeve( includes sleeve and all machine work)

M

Maxz695

Re: Merc 70 Crankshaft wear sleeve & seals

Thanks for the info. I just figured that when the post about a slipped sleeve being pressed back into place and then pinned in, that it was possible to remove the sleeve with a gear puller or something of that nature.The sleeves are about 1/8 thick. I can get new LA sleeves for about 60 bucks each. The ones in the 40 are in great condition. The ones in the 70 worked with good compression all above 118. One was affected by water damage and slightly pitted but seemed to work ok after slight honing until the seals blew out and the trigger coil went bad. Trigger, locktight 815 with primer, and base gasket is on the way, and the wear sleeve line is not totally end to end but somewhat in the middle.