Help please with 2011 Nissan 9.8 idle

drb111

Cadet
I have a 2011 Nissan 9.8 with around 10 hours and it idles pretty roughly. I have followed break in procedures according to manual. It simply will not idle at the lowest throttle setting and will choke out. As a result, I have to give it more gas than it should need to restart, or continue to idle. This creates a problem for when I want to put it in gear since it requires more throttle than it should because I don't like to jam it into gear at this much throttle. Yet if I drop it back to a very low idle it chokes out. Same goes for restart after running a ways. I get to fishing spot and fish for 30 mins and then go to restart. It will not start at the "restart" setting on the throttle. I need to open it up more to get it going. Any help is appreciated. Please note, I always have fresh gas in the motor/ tank and use an ethanol treatment in my gas. I also unhook the gas line and let gas run out of motor after each use so that ethanol gas does not sit in the lines, carb etc. Thanks for the help.

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Help please with 2011 Nissan 9.8 idle

Assuming your model is NSF9.8A3 (year is unimportant for servicing a Tohatsu/Nissan outboard). You may have either a slightly lean idle circuit, or an overfilled crankcase.

Verify that the oil level is about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up the dipstick. Not even a drop over full. Use only 10w-30 or -40, non-synthetic, FC-W rated motor oil. During the winter months, -30 is preferred; -40 if you are in really hot (over 90F) conditions. Do not run synthetic crankcase oil. At about 10 hours, unless the motor was run very hot and hard, it's probably not completely broken in, and the rings are probably still giving some extra blow-by, so keeping the oil level within limits is very important. All new 4-stroke OB's (of all brands) will "make oil", so expect the oil level to rise somewhat, especially if you do a fair amount of idling, and also if you are running in cold water. After a solid break-in, the rings will be well-seated, and you will not make as much oil.

Inspect the plugs. If they are nearly white, you are probably too lean. If they are sooty, re-check that oil and level, as you may be getting extra oil in the cylinders. If they are tan, the mixture is likely OK. On a new 9.8, it might be a good idea to go with new plugs at 10 hours if they are sooting-up. You can keep the originals on hand for spares.

If everything seems to check out with the oil, and especially if the plugs are "too" clean, it's time to review the carb. There could be a bit of factory machining junk in the carb, or, even with your vigilant practice of running the carb dry at the end of each and every day (I wish everyone would do that!), you may have some fuel varnish residues in the idle passages.

If you want to work on the carb yourself, get a Factory service manual (Part # 003N210561, $40.00, available from any Tohatsu/Nissan dealer including me), and using it as a guide, pull the carb... check the float height (should be parallel to the carb casting when the carb is held inverted), and completely disassemble all bits of the carb, including the emulsion tube "nozzle" and the jets. Then give all the non-rubber parts a 4-hour room-temperature soak in real carb dip (available in 1-gallon cans at auto parts houses), followed by a Liberal spray-out using generic carb cleaner spray. Don't be afraid to use a whole can, and don't be afraid to hold the red tube of the can right up to (or into) a passage as you blow it out. Then... do a careful reassembly, paying very close attention to the float height. The plastic float is "non-adjustable", but the arm on it can be reshaped if needed by carefully heating it, and then gently bending it while it is still hot. (Or you can use a new float if the original does not sit at the correct height). When reinstalling the carb, be sure to set the throttle rod so that you get high idle when the choke is on, but there is only a very slight play in the linkage when on the idle stop (and the choke is off). That will allow the carb to come up to "high idle" when you turn the throttle to "restart". If there is too much play in the linkage, the carb will stay on the low-idle stop even when you turn to "restart", and you will not get enough air for a good warm restart.

After you get the carb back on, you will want to use a good shop tach to set the warm idle. About 900 in gear, 950 in neutral, is a decent speed. Any faster, and you will slam going into gear. If you set the warm idle below 900, it may not idle well in gear (and might stall) until it's fully warmed-up.

If these procedures seem daunting to you, or if you prefer not to do the work yourself, see your local dealer for assistance.

Last edited:

drb111

Cadet

Paul....excellent info and thanks for reply. I'm good with the oil level checks and plugs. I used to perform carb jobs on my 1985 Johnson 9.9 but would probably defer to a dealer on this motor. Thanks again.

pvanv

Admiral

Sounds good. Just make 100% sure that the shop knows how to do a 4-hour soak. If they tell you that they want to drill out the brass plug to access the idle mixture screw (instead of soaking the carb), they are not the shop you want working on your carb.

drb111

Cadet

Paul- I'm pretty sure you nailed it on the overfilled crankcase. First, you are correct in assuming the model NSF9.8A3 and the break in was not hard and hot so the rings are probably still giving some blow by. Here is a pic (sorry for poor quality) of my spark plug and it looks sooty to me. I'm using quicksilver 4 stroke FC-W 10w-30 and it is filled above the top level on the dipstick. I will change plugs and change the oil and only bring it to 1/2- 3/4 up the dipstick. Thank you again for the help and I'm hoping this helps.

20121231_160035_resized.jpg

pvanv

Admiral

Plug doesn't look "horrible", but it wouldn't hurt to swap in a set, get the oil back down where it belongs and test it again. Slightly high oil causes very high crankcase pressures, and can actually cause stalling. Cover the basics first, and if the idle seems lean, then look at the fuel system.

san dimas

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 2013 Tohatsu 9.8 four stroke that smokes a little when I first start it. The oil level is just barely above the full line so I'm thinking this might be the problem. The motor has about 13 hours on it and has 10-30 wt in the crankcase. Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to remove a little oil and see how it does.

pvanv

Admiral

I have a 2013 Tohatsu 9.8 four stroke that smokes a little when I first start it. The oil level is just barely above the full line so I'm thinking this might be the problem. The motor has about 13 hours on it and has 10-30 wt in the crankcase. Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to remove a little oil and see how it does.

The owners manual calls for an oil change at 10 hours, so now would be a good time to change, and only fill it to about 1/2 or 3/4 on the dipstick. Use non-synthetic FC-W rated 10w-30. Do not run synthetic. Likewise, be careful about over-choking at startup. If it's "blue" smoke, that's typically oil... if black, probably too rich (too much choke).

san dimas

Petty Officer 1st Class

My owners manual says change oil after 20 hours. The smoke is definately blue so I'm hoping it's just overfilled. It only smokes for about 5-10 seconds. If I stop and fish for awhile it might smoke again at start up just a little. Sometimes not at all. Ya, the chokes are pretty sensitive so I try to get it off as soon as possible.

pvanv

Admiral

San, Yes, you are right (sorry there, my bad); the manual says 20 hours. We often do it for our customers after the 10-hour break-in as well -- just our shop's policy. If your oil level is too high, unless you accidentally overfilled it, it has dilution from blow-by. In that case, changing it isn't a bad idea. After all, 3/4 quart of oil isn't too expensive. Also, there isn't any oil filter on the 9.8, so the only way to remove any break-in grunge from the crankcase is to drain it. In any event, it's better to get the diluted oil out, rather than just taking a little oil out, and leaving the rest of the contaminated oil in there.

san dimas

Petty Officer 1st Class

The oil level hasn't changed since I got it. I just put a little too much in, didn't think it would be a big deal. Now I know better. Your idea of changing it now is a good one, so that's what i'll do. Thanks for your advice.

pvanv

Admiral

Happy to help. Let us know if we can be of further assistance.